Noobie needs smoking help

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Noobie needs smoking help

Postby Pete » 23 Jan 2011, 16:15

Hi all. I am a complete noob at smoking but very keen. I thought I would start with buying a cheap barrel style with a offset fire box, to basically learn with. As I thought there's no point getting a dogs danglies one as the smoker is only as good as the chief.

The one I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

I have read about the modifications that people do to help control the heat. So I have started with extending the chimney to the cooking great.

Basically I tried to cook a rack off ribs. I left the air flow regulator open fully and left it for 1 1/2 hours. But the temp nether got over 60C !

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks
Pete.
Pete
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Noobie needs smoking help

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Jan 2011, 16:58

Hi Pete,

There is a good chance that you have a few leaks especially around the doors on those things. I got a good tip from the BBQ Legend that is Johnny Trigg and he suggested that you need to seal the doors on these offsets.

The plan is:

1. Use heavy duty axle grease around the outside of the grill chamber access door.

2. Use high heat silicon sealant and apply a generous bead to the body of the smoker around the opening for the main cooking chamber.

3. Close the lid tight and leave for over 24 hours, the grease will prevent the lid sticking to the body but provide you with a perfect seal.

Another thing to check is the quality of your fuel. There are a number of people on here that use Offsets both R/F and Straight Through so you should be able to expect some responses soon.

Can you outline what you did step by step, so they can compare notes. Just detail which fuel you used, how you lit, what the quantities were and also what the weather was like and where the smoker is located i.e sheltered in wind etc.

You also need to be aware that the thermometers on those things are seldom accurate. In fact even on top models you can find they are out by 30-40*f my weber probe is consistently out by 40*f, if you can try to check it and if possible calibrate it.

Welcome to the forum, I hope we can help.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Pete » 24 Jan 2011, 21:10

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a go when I get some time off work.

The gaps are huge in the main chamber where the lid meets the bottom half. I tried folding tin foil round it but that's defiantly not a permanent solution.

Personally I am thinking of taking off the fire box and relocating it underneath the main chamber. And controlling the temperature with a butterfly vale as well as the air regulator.

Has anyone tried something like this before?
Pete
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 25 Jan 2011, 16:23

One of my offsets had some gaps. I took a rubber mallet to it, which helped considerably. I did have to put a piece of wood up near the top hinge, then whacked away at the door. It almost completely eliminated the gap.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice