Cooking a piece of Bacon?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Cooking a piece of Bacon?

Postby Banjo » 21 Jan 2011, 10:34

I'm making my own dry cure bacon. I have a 1kg piece of belly (about 1½" thick, rind removed) which I would like to cook low n'slow in my Traeger to impart a good smokey flavour as it cooks. I'll then slice it for hot bacon butties.

How long do you think I should cook it for? I want it to be cooked but remain relatively firm - I don't want 'pulled bacon'
I thought about an hour - hour and half on low?
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Cooking a piece of Bacon?

Postby clairbare » 21 Jan 2011, 11:11

I don't know the answer I am sure someone will come along soon, but can you please post pics when you're done - mmmm I can smell it cooking now :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Swindon_Ed » 21 Jan 2011, 11:57

I've smoked quite a few bacon joints (My butcher does some great Madras cured bacon) I cook it to 160f internal.

Normally i use Oak, just because that's what all the prepacked stuff is in the supermarket, but i've also used Hickory which was good.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Banjo » 21 Jan 2011, 13:12

Swindon_Ed wrote:I've smoked quite a few bacon joints (My butcher does some great Madras cured bacon) I cook it to 160f internal.

Normally i use Oak, just because that's what all the prepacked stuff is in the supermarket, but i've also used Hickory which was good.

I would normally use a thermometer to take internal temp - its just that this piece is not very thick. I'll be using hickory.
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 23 Jan 2011, 13:33

What the Dr says....cold smoke it for as long as it takes to get to your taste, then slice it, pack it and cook as needed...which in my case would be a loaf cut through the centre and all of the cooked bacon in it! :D
LM600

Postby joker smoker » 03 Feb 2011, 16:15

Smoking a piece of belly pork will not give you bacon. It will give you smoked belly pork. To make bacon you first need to cure the pork. I usually take unsmoked gammon or bacon joints and then cook at 275 -325 F. until 165 F internal. It can then be sliced and placed between 2 slices of bread and butter for amazing bacon butties! :D
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Banjo » 04 Feb 2011, 14:03

joker smoker wrote:Smoking a piece of belly pork will not give you bacon. It will give you smoked belly pork. To make bacon you first need to cure the pork. I usually take unsmoked gammon or bacon joints and then cook at 275 -325 F. until 165 F internal. It can then be sliced and placed between 2 slices of bread and butter for amazing bacon butties! :D

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post - I have made the bacon myself by dry curing a piece of belly. I then wanted to cook it on the traeger.

According to the Doc, it wont take up much smoke - do you find this?
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 07 Feb 2011, 14:01

I seem to get a good smoky flavour when cooking at 190=210 F but its not quite the same as cold smoked bacon
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 11 Feb 2011, 09:41

Something a little off topic! You know you are growing a real man when your 2 year old pulls the bacon out of the sandwich, shoves it down his throat, chucks the bread to one side and demands "more bacon please!" :lol:
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 12 Feb 2011, 17:47

clairbare wrote:Something a little off topic! You know you are growing a real man when your 2 year old pulls the bacon out of the sandwich, shoves it down his throat, chucks the bread to one side and demands "more bacon please!" :lol:

A proud moment in any parents' life me thinks :)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice