Pro Q cooking secrets

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Pro Q cooking secrets

Postby Eddie » 16 Jan 2011, 20:44

Just cook 8 racks of ribs on my Pro Q, 4 on a rib rack at 2 levels for the ball tonight. As my team (Dallas) season finished before it even begun, I did'nt mind missing most of it. Everyone seem to enjoy them, and complementry comments were flying around. But I had trouble controling the temp and bringing the temp up to the proper temp. Has anyone got any secrects about cooking with the Pro Q that they don't mind disclosing ? (whats the best way to start to Q. Whats the best way brining it up to temp, what the best fuel and how do the dazy wheels work) To a amateur.

Many Thanks

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Pro Q cooking secrets

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 Jan 2011, 21:06

Can you explain what it was that you did from start to finish. That will help with the responses.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Eddie » 16 Jan 2011, 21:52

Filled the baskt with lumpwood, used a sarter chimley with paper and lumpwood after 20 minutes placed the chimley charcoal on top. kep the top vent open and did'nt know what to do with the lower part ( first had them open and then closed them) to find the correct temp. After useing the 3-2-1- method lovley ribs, but like everyone we all need hints and tips, and boy do I need it.

Many Thanks

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Eddie » 16 Jan 2011, 22:00

Sorry forgot, did also put boiling water in pan.

Regards

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 Jan 2011, 22:04

It sounds like you started well.

A quick pointer, with the excel I find the clay saucer works better for temps than using water.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=320&hilit=clay+saucer

It is also worth making a mental note of your vent configurations. With the clay saucer method the vents are more responsive when adjusting air flow.

What was the ambient temps and weather conditions like?
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 17 Jan 2011, 18:09

Eddie, it does sound like you were starting the charcoal correctly.

Did you have a separate digital theromoeter, or were you going by the one in the lid? That one could be way off, but there is a way of sort of adjusting it. I use a maverick remote thermo to check temps at each level. And the upper level will probably be 10-20 degrees cooler than the lower one.

Here is what I do:
Load charcoal basket
load chimney maybe half full or less, get that going good, then spread the coals over the unlit.
All vents (daisy wheels?) wide open.
When it starts approaching desired temp, close two of the bottom vents fully and the last one about halfway closed.
I have been using sand in the water pan (about 3' - 4" of sand), and when desired temp is reached, I cloes the last vent just about all the way, maybe 1/4 open. Top vent always wide open.

My Excel holds temps steady at 230 - 250 for about 6 hours. Of course, living in Arizona, I usually don't have big problems with very low ambient temperatures.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Eddie » 19 Jan 2011, 02:17

Thanks to you all for the advice, and have taken on board what you have said, will try on friday as next day off.. Can't wait.

Eddie.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice