First Pulled Pork: Trip Report

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

First Pulled Pork: Trip Report

Postby mcdodge » 15 Jan 2011, 13:15

I attempted my first pulled pork this weekend, to take to my fathers 70th birthday gathering.

I thought I would post the pictures and show folks how I got on...

I have to say a big thanks to All Weather Griller for his help, both helping me get hold of an ET73, syringe and the advice he provided me in cooking the pork! Cheers Adie,

Anyways, here goes!

Injected it at 7ish with Apple Cider which caused much comedy as it kept squirting everywhere

I started the smoker at 9pm, and got the meat on about 9:30pm. I didn't get any pictures during this I'm afriad, but I'm sure we know what lighting a WSM looks like.

I went to bed at 11pm the WSM seemed to be going OK in terms of temps, same at 4am when the dog needed to pee.

Unfortunately the wind got up between 4 and 7:30am, meaning when I got up all my charcoal had been burnt up and the temp in the WSM had sunken to 170F.

A chimney of lump got it up to temperature pretty quick and the meat was once again cooking.

It got to 190F internal at about 10:45, I left it there rising slowly to 195F for an hour.

And this is where the fun begins, I was nervous as this was the first time I'd done it - I expected it to be cremated/ruined/crap! The smaller of the 2 joints had gone up to 210F as I had the probe in the bigger, actual butt.

It pulled fine, the meat was a little dry, but mixed with some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce it was lovely. A nice smokey flavour, and a fruity/mellow taste to it.

I made my lunch from that bit

Here is the butt after being foiled for an hour

Close up...

It pulled very easily

Action shot...

Popped it into a tupperware box ready for serving later on! Although I did have some, as did the wife (not a huge BBQ fan) and we both think it was great. The bark was really flavoursome and the meat had a lovely juicy taste and flavour, obviously the cider had worked!

All in all a very successful and tasty first go. I'm really happy with how it turned out, next time I will hopefully have EXACTLY the right cut of meat from the butcher
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: First Pulled Pork: Trip Report

Postby joker smoker » 15 Jan 2011, 15:10

looks just about perfect to me... :D
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 15 Jan 2011, 16:55

Looks great to me. Wonderful first smoke for you. Congrats.

BTW: what wood (s) did you use for smoke?
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby mcdodge » 15 Jan 2011, 18:41

I used 2 chunks of cherry buried in the charcoal last night, and a large piece of oak on top of the hot coals.

I also put a really small chunk of oak when I relit this morning.

BTW, the pork went down fantastically. Lots of very impressed people!
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 15 Jan 2011, 20:48

Looks very tasty.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 15 Jan 2011, 20:49

looks good to me. How'd the ol' man like it. I'll bet on 70 years that was the best pork he'd seen cooked over some charcoal. :D

A great after match report btw!
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice