how long will my brisket take???

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

how long will my brisket take???

Postby aspinallkate » 06 Jan 2011, 18:00

Hey guys!

I've got a piece of brisket, it's 2kg. How long do you think it will take to cook? I'm thinking about doing it on Saturday, is it best to inject a marinade and use a rub?

any help would be fab!

Kate
aspinallkate
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: how long will my brisket take???

Postby mcdodge » 06 Jan 2011, 18:23

They say about 1 hour per pound, so theoretically it should be around 5 hours as 2kg is 4.4lbs.

When I did my 2 pounder the other day, I gave it 3 hours and to be honest it could have benefitted from even longer, so I gues your mileage will vary.
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 06 Jan 2011, 20:27

Depending on your cook temperature it's likely to be around the 5 hour mark and then it will benefit from resting for an hour or two in a cooler.

My advice when it comes to seasoning is to inject with a beef stock based injection and rub with a simple rub. Seasoned salt and cracked black pepper is a great rub on beef. I like my beef to taste of beef :lol:

There are plenty of people who don't inject brisket though so don't feel that its essential. I know guys who swear by only using salt and pepper on brisket.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspinallkate » 06 Jan 2011, 20:34

thanks guys, I think I will just use salt and pepper and not bother with injection. Should I try and keep the temp 220-250 for 5 hours then wrap in foil for a few? sorry, lots of questions! how much s&p should I use and should I foil the brisket during the cook as well as after?

Kate
aspinallkate
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Steve » 06 Jan 2011, 20:50

The foiling question is a matter of taste, some swear by it, some will tell you you're swearing at them if you suggest it :lol:

Personally I'm a foiler, I let mine reach a colour I like the look of then I foil it, this will usually be after about five hours, but I never cook smaller briskets so couldn't really advise too well on timings.

just want to check, this brisket of yours is flat not rolled yeah? If it is rolled you might want to unroll it, first brisket I ever did was rolled and I just cooked it as it was, it took 18 hours :roll:

As for seasoning, I'd say a liberal coating of non iodized sea salt and a good grind of black pepper all over, give it a little working in and you'll be laughing.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspinallkate » 06 Jan 2011, 20:56

it's rolled but I'm definitely going to unroll it!
aspinallkate
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice