Brisket -help please

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Brisket -help please

Postby gavinbbq » 06 Apr 2016, 20:30

I've only ever cooked 3 briskets, all of them British beef and messed only one up and that was due to operator error. The trick is to do just what takingthebrisket says and have a skewer or tooth pick on hand and make sure it goes through like butter. In my experience (which is limited) the meat has been around 203-205f at this stage.

Once it's cooked, we just slice off what we need then break it down into large 2 meal chunks and vacpac it then reheat in simmering water or water bath till it reaches a safe temp. Nothing beats leftover BBQ
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 07 Apr 2016, 19:45

I defo think UK beef is hard to cook well due to lack of fat.

I did a Makro one and it came out well, but only because I anticipated the lack of fat.

I injected and only smoked it for 2hrs and then wrapped it in foil. Then blitzed it in the oven on high for 10mins to crunch it up.

Wasn't bad for about 6 quid!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 08 Apr 2016, 07:21

Hi
Have cooked several briskets on the GMG, flavour profile is superb but the risk of drying out is phenomenal. Last one was a beautiful 16lb packer from my local butcher, very little fat so I smoked it for around 4 hours and then wrapped it in foil and a beef broth. The flat went into the oven and the point I left unwrapped in the GMG for around another 5 hours, then took it cubed and sauced to create burnt ends both were lovely but the flat was still drier than I would have liked.

Cant bring myself to pay the USDA prices so may look at injecting next.

Did an rolled topside on Sunday and this came out beautiful, I think my GMG runs cooler than it says as cooking time was 30% longer than expected, as for leftovers last nights chilli made from chopped residual rib was proper........

Cheers
Ian
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 08 Apr 2016, 09:07

What are you all injecting with?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Apr 2016, 10:19

Just beef stock.

I wanted to say a needle. Lol. but managed to stop myself.

But then put this comment. Lmao.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Apr 2016, 10:21

I'd say basically smoke for a shorter time and foil / braise with liquid for the remainder.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 08 Apr 2016, 10:40

aris wrote:What are you all injecting with?

Bovril :)
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 08 Apr 2016, 11:25

essexsmoker wrote:Just beef stock.

Home made, or out of a tin or what?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Apr 2016, 17:26

aris wrote:
essexsmoker wrote:Just beef stock.

Home made, or out of a tin or what?

Just shop stuff. Oxo or whatever you like.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby TheHowster » 08 Apr 2016, 21:56

Although tempted I've yet to pull the trigger on any of the online butchers selling Australian or USDA briskets. Prices with delivery are just too rich for me to justify. I have found a local butcher who provide fantastic Beef Short Rib but I've never been that impressed with their brisket, partly down to fat content and partly down to the way they tear at it to roll it up.

I have however found some amazing UK briskets at Costco, heavily marbled and turn out to be perfect slabs once unrolled. After speaking with the head butcher at the Costco in Leeds he has also said if I give him advance notice they will hold a packer for me on the rare occasion a whole one get's sent to them. I was surprised how flexible they were considering they are a huge American wholesaler, kinda shames most local butchers who just have pre-prepared vac sealed stuff and only open when most folks are earning their crust.
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice