Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby NIGuy92 » 29 Aug 2015, 15:00

First of Hey! and thank you for letting me a part of this amazing group

as the title suggests im from Northern Ireland, a country that hasn't much experience or sourcing ability in the world of BBQ and smoking :(

I am obsessed and I want to buy myself a good quality product that will allow me to bbq a few burgers and sausages but also allow me to low and slow a beef brisket or pork shoulder

I have a budget of £100-£200 and i would greatly appreciate any advice/links to something i should get!

thanks again!
NIGuy92
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside
 
Joined: 29 Aug 2015, 14:38

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby JEC » 30 Aug 2015, 05:33

Hello. I'd suggest a weber one touch kettle, it will grill and smoke. If you get in to smoking you could buy a weber smokey mountain at a later date and the one touch will still get used.
JEC
Moderator
Moderator
 
Joined: 19 May 2010, 19:25
Location: Sunny (sometimes) North Devon

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby Kiska95 » 30 Aug 2015, 10:38

Hi Mr N00b

Yep get a weber as they are very versatile and the 57CM is on sale for £80 at B & Q. I bought a Napoleon rodeo pro as I liked the upgrades to the Weber but its more expensive @ £250 but same idea. I also have 2 x UDS which I wouldn't be without as they are awesome smokers built for pennies :D
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2015, 13:31

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby NIGuy92 » 30 Aug 2015, 13:01

JEC wrote:Hello. I'd suggest a weber one touch kettle, it will grill and smoke. If you get in to smoking you could buy a weber smokey mountain at a later date and the one touch will still get used.



The weber one touch, is that the same as the 57cm stated below? i went to the b&q website for the 57cm and it looks the same as when i googled the one touch? :mrgreen:
NIGuy92
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside
 
Joined: 29 Aug 2015, 14:38

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby NIGuy92 » 30 Aug 2015, 13:02

Kiska95 wrote:Hi Mr N00b

Yep get a weber as they are very versatile and the 57CM is on sale for £80 at B & Q. I bought a Napoleon rodeo pro as I liked the upgrades to the Weber but its more expensive @ £250 but same idea. I also have 2 x UDS which I wouldn't be without as they are awesome smokers built for pennies :D



Mr N00b i like that haha

I found the one you were talking about on the b&q website, can i smoke on that? Wanna build me a UDS, only Im useless at DIY and stabbed myself with a lego sword i attempted to build :lol:
NIGuy92
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside
 
Joined: 29 Aug 2015, 14:38

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby JEC » 30 Aug 2015, 14:53

NIGuy92 wrote:
JEC wrote:Hello. I'd suggest a weber one touch kettle, it will grill and smoke. If you get in to smoking you could buy a weber smokey mountain at a later date and the one touch will still get used.



The weber one touch, is that the same as the 57cm stated below? i went to the b&q website for the 57cm and it looks the same as when i googled the one touch? :mrgreen:


Yes that's the one you want, if you can try to get the one with the integrated ash catcher rather than the shallow aluminium pan, saves on mess.
JEC
Moderator
Moderator
 
Joined: 19 May 2010, 19:25
Location: Sunny (sometimes) North Devon

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby NIGuy92 » 30 Aug 2015, 15:00

JEC wrote:
NIGuy92 wrote:
JEC wrote:Hello. I'd suggest a weber one touch kettle, it will grill and smoke. If you get in to smoking you could buy a weber smokey mountain at a later date and the one touch will still get used.



The weber one touch, is that the same as the 57cm stated below? i went to the b&q website for the 57cm and it looks the same as when i googled the one touch? :mrgreen:


Yes that's the one you want, if you can try to get the one with the integrated ash catcher rather than the shallow aluminium pan, saves on mess.



Thanks for the help! damn none in stock around me and none available for delivery :( any other suggestions?
NIGuy92
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside
 
Joined: 29 Aug 2015, 14:38

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby Kiska95 » 30 Aug 2015, 15:45

OK

They range from £72 at Riverside Garden centre up to £95 at Argos but there is WOW BBQ in the middle and Birdstall Garden Centre too. Giver it a Google
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2015, 13:31

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby narmour » 19 Oct 2015, 11:43

Careful when ordering online... most don't extend their free delivery to over here. You may be better looking for good deals south of the border.

Whereabouts are you from?
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!
 
Joined: 29 May 2015, 09:30

Re: Northern Ireland BBQ N00b HELP?

Postby wade » 19 Oct 2015, 20:34

From what you say the Weber 57cm is the one to go for. If you do, make sure you go for the Original Kettle and not the Compact. The compact has a squat lid and does not give you enough height in the cooking chamber for larger joints like ribs, pulled pork or brisket.

Among my array of BBQ/smokers I have 4 Weber kettles (3 x 57cm and 1x67cm) and they are great all-rounders. They are all kept outside, used regularly and one is now over 14 years old. They grill, hot smoke and cold smoke. Great for burgers and sausages, ribs brisket and pulled pork, smoked cheese and smoked salmon. For the past 8-10 years my Christmas turkey has always been roasted in a Weber 57cm.

As temperature control is very important, don't forget to invest in a good quality digital thermometer as well. A Maverick ET-732/733 would be good. When hot smoking also invest in some good quality briquettes to help with your temperature control. Weber Premium or Heat Beads work very well.
User avatar
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!
 
Joined: 14 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Woodchurch, Kent

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests