To season or not to season ?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

To season or not to season ?

Postby ped » 24 Nov 2010, 07:26

Hi there

Could you tell me whether I need to season my Pro Q Excel before I use it ?, I didn't think I needed to as it is not bare metal

Many thanks
ped
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: To season or not to season ?

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 24 Nov 2010, 08:16

Hi there--I just bought a ProQ Frontier and in doing some reading, I figured I better season. The thinking here is that is burns off factory residues as well:

Season Your Smoker
Before cooking in your smoker for the first time, it's important to season your equipment to burn off any chemical residues left over from the manufacturing process and to seal the interior surface. To do this you need to fire up your smoker, allow it to heat for a short period and then allow it to cool again. With a charcoal smoker, light a small charcoal fire in the base unit and wait for this to go white hot before building up your smoker components from the base upwards. Never put your smoker together when charcoals are aflame. Set the air vents to half open and add some wood chips to the fire through the bottom door. Then let the fire burn down till completely cold. This should take about 3 hours and will get rid of any chemical taint as well as sealing the interior surface.

This is taken from http://www.hotsmoked.co.uk/tips-and-tec ... nfo_5.html

Regards, Alice
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 24 Nov 2010, 09:13

My understanding is the benefit of seasoning a smoker, is to burn off any nasties that are left over from the manufacturing process, and heating the metal and getting a layer of smoke residue build up will help seal any little gaps in the smoker and will give you better temp' control when you decide to do your first cook.

Also if you brush oil on the grill grates as your seasoning the smoker this will help build a bit of a non stick layer on the grates, a bit like seasoning a Wok.
Swindon_Ed

Postby ped » 25 Nov 2010, 07:21

Many thanks for the replies
ped
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 25 Nov 2010, 07:23

Seldom do I need an excuse to set fire to something, but if I needed one that would be it!

LOL

Enjoy

Adue
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice