UDS newbie looking for help

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

UDS newbie looking for help

Postby Chilibenny » 04 Aug 2015, 09:02

I am slowly getting my UDS smoker built and will post pics when I can. I wonder if I could ask for advice?
I have drilled holes for my ball lever valves for the airflow but I can't source any lockable washers or anything else to keep them securely attached. I am thinking of giving up and using magnests over the holes instead.
Can anyone tell me what they use to secure the ball lever valves to the drum and where they get them from?

Also I recently purchased this barbeque - do you think I could use this as the basis for a charcoal basket? I thought I could drill holes in the bottom and attach a pizza pan or something underneath as the ash catcher?
Any help would be appreciated as I really want to get on and get my UDS completed!
Chilibenny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: UDS newbie looking for help

Postby Chilibenny » 05 Aug 2015, 08:14

Sorry the link to the bucket BBQ I purchased is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191337888080? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I was wondering if it can be turned into a charcoal basket?
Chilibenny
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby gingerchris » 05 Aug 2015, 10:56

My ball valve and pipe nipples just screwed into the hole I drilled. Only the one ball valve gets much movement and I have noticed after a year or so it's got a bit wobbly. I have seen some guys who just welded them into place, but I'm sure I've also seen some flat nuts that screw on from inside the drum.

It's hard to tell the size of that bbq from the pics, but no reason why you can't give it a go. You'll want a lot of holes in it though, both to let air in and ash out. Might be easier to just find some mesh and wrap it round a spare grate.
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 05 Aug 2015, 12:07

Hi Boys

Fiber washers keep the ball valves in place just put 2 on either side and flanged nut on the back

Screwfix have the flanged nuts on their Plumbing and heating page under Brass wear page 5 which keeps everything secure and tight

I used a replacement ProQ coal basket with a cheap flat bottom BBQ from sainsbury's (£12) to act as an ash catcher with Stainless steel bolts nuts and washers to keep it all together and apart if you see what I mean.

Hope this helps
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Teknik » 08 Aug 2015, 13:53

What size ball valves are you using?
In mine i've got 3/4" hex nipples with full bore ball valves on them, i've got 2 full bore and 2 not full.
Drilled 24mm holes and the nipples will thread directly into the barrel, gave me a perfect really tight fit that i didnt need to use any washers or nuts or anything.
I got a lot of my stuff from RS Online, and at the moment the code new20 will get you 20% off :D
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 08 Aug 2015, 14:28

Hi

I used 3/4 inch too got my ball valve off EBay and the rest from Screw fix
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice