BBQ Lamb

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

BBQ Lamb

Postby Chris__M » 24 Nov 2010, 00:10

I couldn't help notice that there is no section in the Recipes area for lamb, nor have I seen it mentioned that much here.

I may have a whole lamb shoulder coming my way in a few days, and I wonder if it could be cooked somewhat like pork shoulder. I know it is a fattier meat, and I am sure my grease bucket will be full by the end, but is this something that could be smoked or cooked low and slow?
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: BBQ Lamb

Postby Chris__M » 24 Nov 2010, 00:17

Always the way, isn't it, you look for something, and only after you post do you see "Other Meats: Lamb, mutton, game...."!

Anyway, advice on the above still invited. It is lamb (not mutton), and should be something like a 2kg shoulder.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 24 Nov 2010, 09:54

No, that is a great help, as it warns me to keep a very close eye on it.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 25 Nov 2010, 12:14

Whenever I cook lamb I found that the trick was not to cook it for too long and too low a temperature ... I go for 250F and cook until tender but not mushy ... this renders down enough of the fat and leaves the meat juicy and tender.

Good luck ! :D
MadCow

Postby Chris__M » 28 Nov 2010, 21:08

Cooked the lamb this afternoon. Due to other stuff happening, it didn't go into the grill until 3pm, so I only gave it an hour or so on smoke, then whacked the temp up to bring it in in time for tea. Cooked for just under 3 hours, not including rest time.

As usual, was too busy bringing a meal together to take pictures. This is the plate of leftovers for tomorrow.

As you can see, it caught a bit of smoke, but it wasn't particularly noticeable. However, it was extremely tasty, served with paprika potatoes and carrots.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 29 Nov 2010, 08:10

I don't like lamb, but that looked very moist and you can see the smoke ring on it - very good first attempt - do youthink you will smoke lamb again?
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Chris__M » 29 Nov 2010, 10:03

clairbare wrote:I don't like lamb, but that looked very moist and you can see the smoke ring on it - very good first attempt - do youthink you will smoke lamb again?

Definitely. This time I was pushed for time, and also a little wary of cooking too slow, too long, given the earlier comments. Next time, I will leave it smoking for longer. As you noted, this one was very moist, and quite tender, but I didn't get to the point where the bone would pull out, which is what I was initially aiming for.

I have another one of these shoulders coming to me at Christmas, but before that, I am going to see what the pellet grill does to the lamb chop, or perhaps a bit of neck. I reckon if I take a bit of care, they could be quite tasty, and there is more exposed meat to take on the smoke.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice