Getting Kitted Up for Very First Cook

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Getting Kitted Up for Very First Cook

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 23 Nov 2010, 12:14

Hi there

I'm an American ex-pat living in Surrey and I've bought my English partner a smoker for Christmas--here's the stuff I've got so far:

ProQ Frontier -- we're not going to cook for big crowds -- say 2-6 people + leftovers

Charcoal starter chimney thingie

Hickory Woodchips

Maverik 732 (the new one) is on pre-order by my sister in Virginia -- hopefully to arrive in time for Xmas

I still need to get lump or briquette so I'm studying forum to see which one to do

On another note--I bought the ProQ cold smoker attachment and some oak dust 'cause I know the partner is interested in this too.

I don't want to go too gadget mad 'cause there's a lot of kit out there, but is there anything else I need to get started--I know I need some meat hahaha but I'm working on that too. My local butcher and I are trying to communicate.

You know that book Low and Slow...Wiviott is the author's name? He seems a little dogmatic--is this a nice book to order for a beginner or is there something else?

Thanks guys and love the forum! : )

Regards, Alice
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Getting Kitted Up for Very First Cook

Postby clairbare » 23 Nov 2010, 13:22

HI Alice and welcome to the forum.

You seem to be pretty much kitted out by the sounds of it - although I am very new to all this too, I am sure the more experienced will come on soon with some good tips/advice.

Regarding books - you can find almost everything you need to on the internet now so I wouldn't particularly worry about any books, and I am sure others will agree it's the practice that makes all the difference :)

Make sure you post any pictures etc of your cooks - what a great xmas present btw :D

I hope you find this forum as helpul and friendly as me & my hubby do xx
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Swindon_Ed » 23 Nov 2010, 14:29

Hey Alice,

Looks like you've got everything covered there.

On book suggestions i'd say to lookup a book called smoke & spice. I can't tell you much about it as it's on my Christmas list but I know that a lot of people on here reccomend it.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 23 Nov 2010, 17:12

Gang:

Much appreciated -- great comments. I will consider Smoke & Spice--saw it on Amazon and it looked terrific.

Doc, love your posts (and Pork!!) since joining the forum last week so thanks for your contribution. I will get your recommended items -- the quick read thermometer is a great tip.

The partner scared the bejeezus out of me last week -- said he wanted to build a smoker over Christmas :o -- I told him to hold off until spring when it was nicer out PHEW!

Keep em coming guys -- there's always that one little thing isn't there? We'll do a first smoke to season it on Christmas Day then I want to try a chicken or something on Boxing Day when the shops are still closed. I'll need to have all my ingredients (meat, rubs, sauce stuff) ready.

Thanks again
Alice (and Kelvin tho he doesn't know it yet heehee)
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 23 Nov 2010, 17:59

Ask Steve at Royal Q ... not sure if he can get you a discount, but he can certainly put you in touch with them.
MadCow

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 23 Nov 2010, 18:41

Hey there

Thanks Doc for link -- I was also looking at the Thermapen site. Help me out with this one: if the Maverik is dual probed -- we've got one in the meat and one on the grate won't the Maverik give us enough of a reading -- if it has been inserted in the deepest part of the meat like I would an oven thermometer. If the thickest part of the meat is done; isn't all of it done or am I missing something. Would be good to get it right esp regarding food hygiene like you pros do.

Thanks xx
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 24 Nov 2010, 07:17

Doc

Yup, I can see the partner loving the Thermapen. "where is it?" I'll ask and it'll be peeping out of his shirt pocket. I better get 2 'cause the first will probably end up in the washing machine :roll:

I may splurge and get the sexy dancing all new even faster one that I saw on their website. Not sure how to find the Royal guy but don't want to ask him -- feeling shy. :oops:

I need to be heavily involved in this bbq project 'cause I just KNOW I'll have to be the one to fire it up early in the morning :x Also, got 2 akitas (huge Japanese dogs) that will need constant supervision out there during the cook or Kelvin and I may not get anything at all.

Have a great week--I'm inhaling this forum in the meantime Kind regards, Alice 8-)
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby clairbare » 24 Nov 2010, 09:19

Think the Doc is saying you could use the Thermapen for the smaller cooks like lumps of steak or chicken bits - the probe will stay in the larger joints of meat and the other can be a quick tool to help you check any other meats you have cooking xx
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby esselle » 24 Nov 2010, 09:45

Your original post took me back a few years when Lyndz (Miss Piggy) bought me our first smoker (which also happened to be a frontier....Al will tell you all about my baby another time I'm sure!) That was for my 40th and ever since we have been hooked, so hopefully the same happens with you two, welcome to the 'BUG'.
Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 24 Nov 2010, 10:35

Thanks Clairbare -- I'm seeing that. Forgot that we potentially could have a few things on the go--I think we'll just concentrate on one meat/bird until we get it right--then we can multitask :shock: We may not even get to the 2nd stacker at this rate!

Thank you Scott for welcoming comments and fond memories--it IS a bug isn't it?? I feel the same geekiness welling up inside me as when I bought our espresso maker :mrgreen:

Appreciate your feedback guys. This is a great forum. xx
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice