Getting Kitted Up for Very First Cook

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Getting Kitted Up for Very First Cook

Postby All Weather Griller » 25 Nov 2010, 07:38

Mmmm Scott's rare green frontier!

Welcome to the Forum, I think I'm hooked.
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 25 Nov 2010, 08:06

Alice's Restaurant wrote:Thanks Clairbare -- I'm seeing that. Forgot that we potentially could have a few things on the go--I think we'll just concentrate on one meat/bird until we get it right--then we can multitask :shock: We may not even get to the 2nd stacker at this rate!

Thank you Scott for welcoming comments and fond memories--it IS a bug isn't it?? I feel the same geekiness welling up inside me as when I bought our espresso maker :mrgreen:

Appreciate your feedback guys. This is a great forum. xx

I spoke to Steve (Royal Q)for you about Thermapens and if you send him a pm he will get back to you as soon as he can. No need to be :oops: he doesn't bite......well he hasn't bit me yet thankfully.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 03 Dec 2010, 17:51

Alice,

Your partner is a lucky man, indeed. I would add my vote for the book "Smoke & Spice". It is pretty much the only book I use regularly.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Alice's Restaurant » 03 Dec 2010, 22:39

Gang:

Thanks so much for your suggestions...the partner is going to make a killing this Christmas...

Final List (god I'm skint!)

ProQ Frontier
Woodchips (hickory, oak, apple, maple)
Chimney Starter
Superfast Thermapen
Maverick ET-732 (new model)
Lump Charcoal (Supagrill)
ProQ cold smoker attachment and oak dust
Stainless Steel Marinade injector (nice 'cause it has 2 needles--one for liquid, the other for thicker marinades)
Steel Tongs 40 cm
Books: Smoke & Spice, Low & Slow (Wiviott) and a little book on cold smoking

We'll have to improvise on other stuff for the meantime -- no cooler so I'll have to wrap the meat and stick it in a spare oven...we've got really good heatproof fireplace gloves already. I'll just have to remember not to leave them outside if I want to start a fire. A really handy thing is our fridge and a large wooden table are just inside from the patio where the smoker will be. Will be helpful for prep.

Ordered a 8lb brisket, point end from my butcher Pete who's all interested in this project. That'll be ready for pickup on 29th Dec so we can practice on chicken before then. So nice to have my major Christmas stuff bought this early! I've been known to be running around on Christmas eve after work for the last hour that the shops are open.

Again, thanks for your help and the great info on this forum--will keep you posted on our first cooks over Christmas with photos. xx Alice (and Kelvin shhhhh!)
Alice's Restaurant
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice