All in one Smoker/ BBQ/ Direct Grill?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

All in one Smoker/ BBQ/ Direct Grill?

Postby fat_cap » 06 Jul 2015, 16:57

Hi,

I've recently moved into a new house and, for the first time, have a garden to myself instead of a shared yard...priorities in order, before furnishing the place or decorating it's time to get a BBQ!

I've been looking into BBQs and smokers and am a bit bewildered by the amount choice on offer. I love the idea of low 'n slow smoking, but would also like to be able to come home from work and do a quick steak or burger on a direct grill barbecue.

I've seen people recommend the ProQ Frontier for it's ability to do smoking and direct grilling- and the blurb tells as much, but have seen a few people complain about having the grill so low to the ground when doing direct grilling after removing the two stackers. Are there any other alternatives to look at which would allow for the grill to be higher? I've got to admit that bending down and cooking on the small kettle bbq grill you'd be left with after removing the stackers doesn't sound like what I'd really want to be doing after spending more than £200 on a BBQ! What sort of heat would you get doing direct grilling using just one stacker to retain some height?
fat_cap
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: All in one Smoker/ BBQ/ Direct Grill?

Postby Tiny » 11 Jul 2015, 08:38

Fat Cap,
For me there are only 2 credible answers to the multi dimensional BBQ

Weber Kettle
You can cook classic and offset smoke, perhaps not a dozen racks or a whole brisket but you can do plenty. Always the option then later to buy the dedicated smoker or build the UDS.

My personal choice GMG Daniel boon, smokes lovely can sear an steak, cook a pizza, or smoke roast 4 chickens or well anything really, expensive yes but when I price up the tat I bought and then threw away it is an William P Bargain.....

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 11 Jul 2015, 09:46

I'd say go for the weber one touch. Can't go wrong. If you really get into low and slow then go for the UDS. To be honest if you just go for the standard one touch you will probably have saved enough to build a UDS too anyway.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 13 Jul 2015, 12:13

Tiny & Essex smoker are spot on but if you have some DIY ambition and Skills try a UDS! :D
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby fat_cap » 18 Jul 2015, 18:17

Oops - I didn't get an e-mail notification so didn't realise anybody had replied to my noobish question - belated thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not sure my skills are quite up to going the UDS route just yet, so it looks like, going from your suggestions a Weber is the way to go! I'd seen them around when being dragged through the homeware sections of the shopping centre with the missus but had thought they were only for grill type barbecuing- interesting to hear they're good for smoking/ low n slow as well as the compact size and ease of cleaning will definitely come in handy for the small garden we'll have.

Does anybody know whether it's better to use the Weber wood chips or chunks for a Weber kettle? I'll be buying a few bags when I order the kettle so good to know in advance which work best!
fat_cap
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JEC » 20 Jul 2015, 05:40

I always buy chunks when possible, chips and dust burn out too quickly, even when soaked in water
JEC

Postby Vibe » 20 Jul 2015, 07:11

You can smoke on the weber kettle as that's what I had been doing for a while but the only problem is limited space and the learning curve for how to light the coals and maintain temp. So don't expect perfect things first time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Clayfish » 20 Jul 2015, 10:20

There's a place for chips and chunks.

I use chips (unsoaked) in a steel smoke box for most smoking I do in the kettle which are usually shorter cooks (1-2 hours) - longer smokes go in the WSM or mini WSM and then I use chunks.

If you're doing a long smoke in the kettle e.g. snake method, use chunks.
Clayfish
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice