UDS Build Question.

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

UDS Build Question.

Postby Teknik » 06 Jul 2015, 09:16

Morning Guys,
I'm at the planning stage of my UDS build, I've bought the drum, bought the ballvalves etc, (they are coming from china so awaiting eagerly!)
I'm trying to figure out what to do re the charcoal basket, I've a friend whos granddad is a blacksmith so I've asked him to quote for making me one out of expanded steel however I was in home-base yesterday and I noticed they have round barbecue replacement grills in for £5, they are 53cm in diameter, which is about the right size for a drum I think? (I forgot to measure mine before heading to work).
So my question is, rather than using a washing machine drum, or a custom made charcoal basket, can I just put a second grill in 6" above the bottom and pile up the charcoal on there?

Dont worry, will take pictures once I start the build! :D
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: UDS Build Question.

Postby Kiska95 » 06 Jul 2015, 10:36

Nope!

The home base grill racks are fine

Get a replacement proQ coal basket from Amazon and use a cheapo BBQ (£12 Sainsbury's) as the ash collector Use 3 stainless steel bolts, nuts (6mm or 8mm) and penny washers to hold them together with a couple of inches gap between the ash collector and the grate. If you check out Miss Piggy BBQ UDS build she did the same and has pictures

http://www.misspiggysbbq.co.uk/?p=443
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Deej » 06 Jul 2015, 15:19

I'm in exactly the same position as you and many others it seems when making a UDS. I was going to make the charcoal basket from reasonably heavy gauge expanded mild steel, but I'll have to buy a whole 8' x 4' sheet to get it at a reasonable price. The fabrication side is fine as I have all the necessary welding/cutting gear. If a few people were interested I could possibly make a few more baskets to recoup the cost.

I bought one of the £4.99 homebase 53cm racks to use as a second cooking grill - if you use this as a charcoal grate you won't be able to drop it down past the bolts for the cooking grills without tipping it on its side. You could fill the basket once it's already in the drum but getting it out would be very messy.

Clas Ohlson have fairly sturdy (better than homebase) 45cm grills for £8.99 which would work as a charcoal grate. I've considered this but still need some kind of mesh for the sides. I have a beer barrel which is 40cm diameter, but drilling tons of air holes in stainless steel will end up being a nightmare as it eats drill bits/hole cutters.

Dave
Deej
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby batvan » 06 Jul 2015, 18:27

Yeah what kiska said. The homebase grates are good for cooking but not as a charcoal basket.for the basket just follow the basics n keep it simple, Ya need an ash collector, a gap between that n yer coal to stop the ash choking Ya fire n a basket big enough to hold enough coal for a long cook.a hook of some sort to make it easier to get in n out n away ya go!
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice