Choosing a Gas for the BBQ : Propane or Butane

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Choosing a Gas for the BBQ : Propane or Butane

Postby vrat » 30 Jun 2015, 10:33

Hi All,

Sorry for the newbie question,

I have purchased my first gas bbq it's a basic two burner, nothing fancy as it is my first.

The question I have is regarding the gas cylinders; they can be quite expensive as I will have to buy the cylinder too.

However I found a reputable website that sold butane 13kg cylinder for a little under £30 including the bottle.
I read that for propane bbq to work on a butane cylinder I have to change the regulator, therefore have decided to possibly buy the regulator from the same website for a few pounds.

The regulator however reads 28 mbar. The specifications for the bbq read 'This BBQ is fuelled by Propane Gas (37mbar) '. Would this cylinder together with the 21mm Butane Regulator (28 mBar) work fine with my bbq?

I decided to throw the question on to you experienced BBQ'ers before I went ahead with the purchase.

Appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

V
vrat
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Choosing a Gas for the BBQ : Propane or Butane

Postby derekmiller » 30 Jun 2015, 11:22

Are you likely to cook over Winter, if so I would stick with the Propane. Butane has a higher boiling point than Propane, and can "freeze" in Winter.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vrat » 30 Jun 2015, 11:28

derekmiller wrote:Are you likely to cook over Winter, if so I would stick with the Propane. Butane has a higher boiling point than Propane, and can "freeze" in Winter.

Thanks for the reply derekmiller. Very unlikely to cook during winter the bbq will be put away for the winter until next summer :) .

Does the difference in mBar values matter? Would the 28 mBar butane regulator still work with my bbq that specifies 37 mbar propane?

In regards to butane freezing, would I have to take special care in storing the cylinder over winter?

most importantly though it's the pressure difference that I need reassurance with.

Thanks Again.
vrat
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby derekmiller » 30 Jun 2015, 11:40

You need to check your appliance carefully. Near the burners will be a plate specifying what they can handle. Most of my gas appliances have both 28mBar and 37mBar marked on them, and I have swapped regulators without a problem.
One of mine has only 28mBar on it, I wouldn't use Propane on this appliance.
No need for special care when storing, just be aware that may not work when the temp drops towards freezing.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vrat » 30 Jun 2015, 11:56

derekmiller wrote:You need to check your appliance carefully. Near the burners will be a plate specifying what they can handle. Most of my gas appliances have both 28mBar and 37mBar marked on them, and I have swapped regulators without a problem.
One of mine has only 28mBar on it, I wouldn't use Propane on this appliance.
No need for special care when storing, just be aware that may not work when the temp drops towards freezing.

Thanks derekmiller, I will check the burners when I get home tonight.
vrat
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby OUTBACKMAN » 15 Jul 2015, 17:14

derekmiller wrote:Are you likely to cook over Winter, if so I would stick with the Propane. Butane has a higher boiling point than Propane, and can "freeze" in Winter.

=============================================================================

Reading that as helped me to what the difference is between the two Propane & Butane.
OUTBACKMAN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice