Advice on what smoker

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Advice on what smoker

Postby Bazrazmataz » 24 Jun 2015, 19:23

Hi all I'm pretty new to smoking and am just after some advice. A few months back I picked up a very cheap £30 bullet style smoker just for a play with its cooked some lovely meats but it's a real pain to control temps and I can't fit much meat on it either, one thing in particular i don't enjoy is having to sit on the floor to keep and eye one it.

So as my annual bonus is due at work and I am looking for a new smoker the next step up and something I can fit more meat on. I did like the look off offset smokers and am not adverse to some slight modifications but I'm reading so much online that contradicts my head had become scrambled. I don't want to become a pro just smoke some nice pork and brisket at home on the weekends. I'd like something I can use stood up or on a chair if that makes sense and with easy access to the fire pit and food chamber as my current one has tiny little flaps.

I'm looking to spend around £250 but really struggling to decide I had been looking at a landmann Kentucky and a char griller. One problem I'm finding is so much of the info online is USA based and I don't seem to be able to get much of that equipment over here.

Id appreciate any help.

Many thanks
Bazrazmataz
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Advice on what smoker

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 25 Jun 2015, 16:29

Probably best with a wsm or a proq. They are both bullet types that alot of us have. With an off set you'll spend alot of time tending to the fire whilst with the previous mention if set correctly you'll get a good smoke. Or there's weber kettles which you can do direct and indirect on
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Advice on what smoker

Postby Tiny » 25 Jun 2015, 19:08

DO ?NOT BUY THE LANDMANN!!

In fact, buying an offset is as wise as kneeling down on a crazy golf course butt naked with an inward pointing arrow on each cheek......

Pro Q,
WSM,
or if you want to smoke a bit grill a bit Weber kettle....

Beginning middle and end in this price range
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 26 Jun 2015, 05:52

Pro Q or WSM. Or if you're a bit handy, make yourself a UDS that will do the job better than either of them ;)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 26 Jun 2015, 12:48

Yep UDS for less than £100
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Flying_Vee » 26 Jun 2015, 17:30

Ho thar.

Having perused much in this forum I'm close to snaffling a Pro q frontier (not elite) for £130. It's reportedly nearly new and was only used a couple of times.

Just wondering if any pro q owners could advise on things to look out for when I collect this weekend.

Ta.

Looking forward to future bbq geekery on the forum.

Flying_Vee
Flying_Vee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby paulfire » 28 Jun 2015, 09:53

As the other responses indicate the easiest and most practical route is a bullet type smoker which you can use as a smoker and as a standard grill type BBQ when needed. There's not much difference between a ProQ and a WSM, I have the ProQ and have used it for 3years the only mods are sealant around the doors and I use a homemade insulating cabinet for winter cooking. The WSM has a loyal fan base who would use nothing else.
The only addition is a temperature controller, and they are again similar, so it comes down to what deal you can negotiate for the equipment you desire.
Good luck.
paulfire
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice