Adding fuel during a slow cook

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Adding fuel during a slow cook

Postby slemps » 01 Jul 2015, 08:42

wade wrote:Heat Beads and Weber Premium briquettes have never been a problem for me when using them Minion method.

Thanks Wade. That's useful to know. I'm now wondering what would be better for me to use. I use big k restaurant lump which works well for me and burns for ages in the UDS. Downside is it costs £24 per 15kg here in jersey.

I reckon my fire basket holds about 5kg so I get 3 long cooks per bag.

Do you think the briquettes would burn longer? Ie would I use less for the same time?

I don't have an ash pan at the moment so I'm also happy that the lump produces very little. How do good quality briquettes compare?

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Adding fuel during a slow cook

Postby wade » 01 Jul 2015, 09:39

Yes, the quality briquettes will burn for longer than the lump charcoal as they are highly compacted. Initially the higher price does make them look more expensive but in practice I find them to be more economical. The briquettes also produce relatively little ash - Less than lump charcoal but more than pellets.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice