Grill Thermo

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Grill Thermo

Postby dannysmith43 » 22 Jun 2015, 08:33

Hi,

Just a quick one, I murdered some ribs on Sunday, tough as old boots. Made a few rookie mistakes but it was my first time, what it did highlight was the fact that I need a grill thermometer and not use the in-built lib thermo.
Ideally I'd like a Maverick but funds will not permit, I just need a single probe to monitor to keep an eye on the grill digitally so I can monitor it from outside of the grill.

I've seen some £7 ones on eBay that might serve a purpose for now, I might get a Maverick eventually. What do you guys use if not a Maverick?

Thanks
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Grill Thermo

Postby dannysmith43 » 23 Jun 2015, 13:56

Been looking at reviews on Amazon for some lesser models, seems like Maverick really is the "go to" brand for this sort of stuff. The cheaper ones seem to fall apart after a short period of time - may have to just shell out for an ET-732 which are £44 on Amazon!
On the single probed jobs, I assume it doesn't matter if the probe is measuring meat temp or grill temp? The Maverick appears to dedicate a probe to one each.

Danke
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 23 Jun 2015, 21:28

Hi

Not 100% sure but I think you can use the single probe for either grill or food.....I've got the et-733 with the two probes and it's great....not sure what the price differential is between them but in for a penny, in for a pound and all that :D ..... You probably wouldn't ever regret buying the two probe jobby!

Cheers
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 24 Jun 2015, 07:26

You wont go wrong with the 732, worth every penny.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jash Monolith » 24 Jun 2015, 18:41

For mavericks, the probes all use the same plug into the unit, and obviously measure temperature. There are 3 different probes:
- A short fat one for the grill temp
- A long thin one - called hybrid, use for either grill or food
- A think one with a hook - food probe

You can switch them all around so you can have 2 for food if you need. 732 used to come with a grill probe and a food, newer models come with a food and a hybrid.

Ivation fit exactly the same if you see them and they're cheaper
Jash Monolith
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice