Other foods to smoke???

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Other foods to smoke???

Postby Swindon_Ed » 17 Nov 2010, 21:01

Hi,

Can anyone give me some ideas on other foods for the smoker?

I've done the normal pulled pork, ribs & chicken (thighs & Beer Can).

What other foods do people like to smoke on here? I'd especially be interested in hearing about any dessert recipes.

Thanks,
Swindon_Ed

Re: Other foods to smoke???

Postby Banjo » 18 Nov 2010, 09:56

Swindon_Ed wrote:Hi,

Can anyone give me some ideas on other foods for the smoker?

I've done the normal pulled pork, ribs & chicken (thighs & Beer Can).

What other foods do people like to smoke on here? I'd especially be interested in hearing about any dessert recipes.

Thanks,

Salmon smokes very well, and is quick and easy. It also tastes great cold. I put mine on an open piece of foil, drizzle over some maple syrup and let it cook for about 30 mins (depending on size/thickness).
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 19 Nov 2010, 11:14

Lamb is also really good on the bbq .... anything from shoulder to shank and rack to rump !!!

I also have a great recipe for Hot Smoked Salmon ... with Rum !!! ...

http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/910/4730.html

Have fun !
MadCow

Postby Banjo » 19 Nov 2010, 11:54

MadCow wrote:Lamb is also really good on the bbq .... anything from shoulder to shank and rack to rump !!!

I also have a great recipe for Hot Smoked Salmon ... with Rum !!! ...

http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/910/4730.html

Have fun !

Jackie, I hadn't noticed your recipe section :oops: Some good recipes there.

I've been trying to decide which Turkey recipe to choose - yours looks quite straightforward so I'm going to give it a go :)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 19 Nov 2010, 12:02

:lol: I've been using it for years ... works every time for me !! Hope you enjoy ! :D
MadCow

Postby crsmoke070 » 19 Nov 2010, 12:12

The thing that a lot of friends are knowing me for is the smoked nuts and salmon. I smoke the nuts with my dry rub on them to create a spiced dry roasted nut. I use almonds, peanuts & pistachios. I have a lot of other ideas on nuts and flavors but I don't have the time because friends keep handing me bags of nuts to smoke.

My salmon is a recipe I got from a fellow smoker with my own twist on it. It has a lox flavor but isn't cold smoked to allow it to be sliced. The first time I make it and let my wife & her friend taste it they said it is amazing. The friend actually got goose bumps from how good it was. I think that is the best compliment I could have gotten.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Banjo » 19 Nov 2010, 13:41

crsmoke070 wrote:My salmon is a recipe I got from a fellow smoker with my own twist on it. It has a lox flavor but isn't cold smoked to allow it to be sliced. The first time I make it and let my wife & her friend taste it they said it is amazing. The friend actually got goose bumps from how good it was. I think that is the best compliment I could have gotten.

Chuck

Care to share the recipe then Chuck? I love smoked fish :)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby crsmoke070 » 19 Nov 2010, 14:49

I will post the salmon recipe in the recipe section. Let me know what you think if you give it a try.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 Nov 2010, 18:20

I'm really liking the idea of smoked peanuts with bbq rub. is there any type of wood that's best? How long should i smoke them for?
Swindon_Ed

Postby crsmoke070 » 22 Nov 2010, 15:14

I used shelled peanuts and smoked them for 30 min. and then up to 225*F for an hour. I have found you need to first apply some liquid to the nuts to allow the rub to stick. I did try a store bought BBQ sauce and thinned it with a little vinegar. Just use enough to get the nuts thinly coated. They turned out good and the wife really liked them. I found them to stick together even after cooled because sauce contained a lot of sugar. I now use a sauce that has very litle sugar and I prefer them. The only other thing I found with peanuts is that you can over season them with your rub. Maybe try small batches keeping track of the amounts you use until you find the perfect combination.

I now have people bringing me bags of nuts to smoke for them.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice