Other foods to smoke???

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Other foods to smoke???

Postby smokinjim » 23 Nov 2010, 00:56

I don't know if you guys across the pond indulge in meatloaf or not, but if you do they are great done on the smoker. The ground meat just soaks up the smoke. Another thing is "pig peckers" which is a great appetizer. You simply take a pork sausage (banger) and wrap with a slice of your favorite bacon. You then roll these in brown sugar to lightly coat and place on the cooker for about 1.5-2 hours. Make lots, cause they don't last very long. How about "pig candy". Do this at the same time as the pig peckers. Simply take some thicker sliced bacon and dredge thru the brown sugar on both sides. Place on the cooker until the bacon is well done but take off before it gets crisp. Well, that is all from me at the moment.
smokinjim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 23 Nov 2010, 08:27

I love meatloaf, especially done on the smoker.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 23 Nov 2010, 20:07

I saw a Nigella program the other day and luckily i recorded it :D as she was cooking meatloaf. It looked so good i was going to have a go at cooking it in the oven but i love the idea of cooking it on the smoker (any excuse to light it up).

One of my worries would be about the Meatloaf falling through the grill grates of the smoker. I've seen people use Frogmats but i take it i'd have to order these in from the US. Does anyone else know of something simillar that i could use instead that is easily available?

Finally in was thinking of using a mix of oak and hickory unless someone can tell me a better wood or wood combo' to use.

DrSweetsmoke wrote:SPAM didn't get a look

Al, I'm not sure if SPAM is the same over here as it is in the US, but too many school dinners of deep fried spam fritters has put me off the type i know for life.

Jim, about your comment on pig peckers, in the UK these are known as pigs in blankets and i was going to cooking these with my turkey for Christmas so it's good to hear that they come out great.
Swindon_Ed

Postby esselle » 23 Nov 2010, 20:36

Yep pan for me too - it still gets smoke to the top.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crsmoke070 » 24 Nov 2010, 11:47

I just put the meatlof directly on the grill before I had frogmats. Your meatloaf needs to be firm enough to hold its shape while sitting and if it does that then you will be fine with having it directly on the grill. Just be careful because you can really dry it out if you cook it too long.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 24 Nov 2010, 11:57

Hi Chuck,

I'm going to make a 3lb meatloaf, how long should i be looking to cook it for, or should i just be looking for a good internal temp of 160?

Thanks,

Ed
Swindon_Ed

Postby smokinjim » 26 Nov 2010, 14:13

I pre-form my meat loaf on a piece of foil and place on the cooker. About 1 hour in I take it off the foil and let her go until I get an internal temp of 160-165F.
smokinjim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby crsmoke070 » 01 Dec 2010, 12:37

I just go for the internal temp of 160-165.

I also put ketchup on top for about the last 30-45 minutes. If you haven't tried it, you should. If you are skeptical, try the ketchup on just part of it.

Enjoy

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice