First kettle smoke (using pork butt)

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

First kettle smoke (using pork butt)

Postby kirkles » 13 Jun 2015, 14:06

Hi Folks,

I'm wanting to look to do my first smoke. I'm looking to do something in time for dinner tomorrow evening starting tomorrow morning. Here's the kit I currently have...

57cm Weber Kettle
    Weber Long Lasting Briquettes
    Maverick ET-733
    Weber Hickory Wood Chips (sorry, don't have chunks :cry: )
    Large weber foil trays

I have a butchers nearby who have a great reputation called Ruby and White, and after talking on the phone they already seemed familiar with what a pork butt is. I arrived and sure enough they had a good size 6.6lb (3kg) 'pork butt' (pork shoulder, paddle/blade bone kept in and spine removed, neck end only). They've taken the skin off but I'm planning on smoking with the fat cap left on at the moment.

I'm looking to do a 3 snake around 2/3 of the 57cm bbq kinda like in this page. I'll also put 1 litre of boiling water in a tray under the meat and sprinkle 2 handfuls of dry wood chips evenly across the snake.

Do you guys think this would be enough to last the cook? Temp tomorrow is meant to be around 20c.

Thanks!

(I've edited this post, originally I was asking about what meat but have gone for pork butt!)
kirkles
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: First kettle smoke (using pork butt)

Postby dannysmith43 » 15 Jun 2015, 10:49

I'm new myself and haven't gone for a real long and slow yet...
How did it go? Saturday was rubbish in Suffolk, I ended up BBQ'ing on Sunday as it was a bit drier.
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice