Which to buy?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Which to buy?

Postby chunkrock » 11 Jun 2015, 12:02

I tried finding a similar topic but the search function tells me every word I use is too common (perils of coming from Hull I guess :P ) and won't give me any answers.

I am upping my BBQ game from crappy £15 tesco grills and am looking to spend a few hundred quid on a bbq in order to hopefully one day join a pit-crew and enter some competitions (whilst also feeding my friends and family the best BBQ food)

I have been looking at the Weber collection and am thinking of starting with a 57cm Mastertouch then getting myself a smokey mountain later in the year for ribs etc.

I am by no means rich and am fresh out of university but I think something you are passionate about is worth investing in.

My question is, are Weber really the best for a starter (but with a fair amount of knowledge after watching endless youtube tutorial videos haha) or should I be looking for something a tad cheaper?

many thanks!!
chunkrock
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Which to buy?

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 15 Jun 2015, 12:37

If your spending a few hundred quid maybe look into a weber smokey mountain (WSM). You get better long smoke control over temperature and you can use the bottom section for direct if needed. An alternative is the ProQ range of smokers
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ChrisABBQ » 15 Jun 2015, 12:54

Chunk

You'll never regret buying a Weber kettle - and you CAN smoke on them too, it just takes a little more effort. Bear in mind that a kettle also satisfies all of your 'normal' grilling needs (steaks, burgers, banger etc) - whereas a smoker (WSM) is purely for one purpose. The obvious answer of course is to get both - but as a beginner you may find the kettle more adaptable.
ChrisABBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chunkrock » 16 Jun 2015, 08:39

Thank you guys.

Definitely want a Weber kettle... roll on payday!!
chunkrock
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby YetiDave » 16 Jun 2015, 09:58

UDS ;) I see you're in Manc and you look like a man who enjoys a pint in GC. I'd gladly let you take a look at mine - easy to build, high capacity, beats the tar out of a Pro Q.

As an aside - get in touch with Seth from Alderwood Tree Care in Manchester if you need any seasoned hardwood. He sold me 30kg of cherry logs for under a tenner which saves on the extortionate prices you'll pay online. The downside is that you'll need a splitting axe, the upside is you'll need a splitting axe.
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby chunkrock » 16 Jun 2015, 16:05

YetiDave wrote:UDS ;) I see you're in Manc and you look like a man who enjoys a pint in GC. I'd gladly let you take a look at mine - easy to build, high capacity, beats the tar out of a Pro Q.

As an aside - get in touch with Seth from Alderwood Tree Care in Manchester if you need any seasoned hardwood. He sold me 30kg of cherry logs for under a tenner which saves on the extortionate prices you'll pay online. The downside is that you'll need a splitting axe, the upside is you'll need a splitting axe.

I am indeed partial to a jar or 6 in GC haha. I would LOVE a look at your UDS as it is a term I have seen bandied about a lot but no idea what it means... I assume it is a DIY job?

I have crunched some numbers and it turns out I have a few hundred more quid than I thought to splash out and I am the kind of guy that wants to get it right first time rather than buy and then find something better ;)

But my bbq heroes (bbqpitboys.com) use Weber so I figured I would emulate them. But yeah, drop me a PM and if its ok I would love to pop over and have a look :)
chunkrock
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby chunkrock » 16 Jun 2015, 16:06

also, axes. yes. :lol:
chunkrock
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby chunkrock » 17 Jun 2015, 18:56

Ordered a 57cm mastertouch!

Can't wait to get grilling!!!
chunkrock
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Jun 2015, 20:49

Good choice. Think you will be pleased with it.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby newbie_John » 26 Jul 2015, 19:10

Reading this thread with interest, I'm looking at upgrading from a Weber lookalike kettle barbie, which is fine for grilling, but probably isn't heavy enough for long and slow cooking which I want to try.

Also, when I'm in Croatia, those guys cook with chimneyed BBQs which use the added draftto generate a lot of heat for grilling. They also cook under a heavy metal dome with coals on top. Does anyone here have any experience with these kind of BBQs or techniques (BTW, the results can't be argued with!)
newbie_John
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice