Duck on a Traeger?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Duck on a Traeger?

Postby Chris__M » 19 Nov 2010, 13:27

MadCow wrote:When you do finally cook one on the Traeger ... smoke it first for at least an hour, preferably 2-3, then crank it up to high and finish it that way .... you should get a bit more smoke flavour by doing it that way .... also works beautifully with duck breasts and legs.

Brilliant, Jackie, thanks for the tip.

Another quick question. I tend to "harvest" duck fat for future frying (and killer roast potatoes). What's the best way to do this on the Traeger - put the duck on a grid over a pan to collect the fat? I didn't think it would be a good idea to reclaim fat from the bucket, even if the whole grill had been cleaned first.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 19 Nov 2010, 13:36

A pan under the duck is the best option here ... never ever use the stuff in the bucket !!! But remember, the duck fat will have a smokey flavour !!! :D
MadCow

Postby Chris__M » 19 Nov 2010, 18:52

MadCow wrote:A pan under the duck is the best option here ... never ever use the stuff in the bucket !!! But remember, the duck fat will have a smokey flavour !!! :D

Thought as much. It'll be interesting to see how much smoke gets in the fat - I can think of all manner of uses if it is noticeable.

"Smokey potato wedges", anybody?. :lol:
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice