Brinkmann type smoker or Weber type kettle?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Brinkmann type smoker or Weber type kettle?

Postby Jimardee » 09 Jun 2015, 08:38

Hi all,

So here I am starting from nothing… nada… zero… but really excited to get into BBQ! Yay! But I am on a tight budget… Boo!

First things first… I need to choose a BBQ! I think I have narrowed it down to either wanting a Brinkmann type smoker or Weber type kettle unit. Amazon has some cheaper versions of both these styles, for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXFO4Y2?colid=359CS500ZMI2M&coliid=I2IBRBYCYCS8DW&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl (has some good reviews!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Landmann-43-5cm-Kettle-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B0001VQI2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1433839050&sr=1-1&keywords=kettle+bbq

Two questions really:

1. What are the pros and cons of both these types of BBQ? Does anyone have any useful web links / articles they could send my way?
2. Is it worth spending more than the budget ones considering all I am ever going to be is a back garden family barbecue kinda guy?!

Thanks all!
Jimardee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Brinkmann type smoker or Weber type kettle?

Postby essexsmoker » 09 Jun 2015, 19:59

Links don't work for me.

It's less about back garden and more about controllability. Cheap equals headaches.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 10 Jun 2015, 10:36

Links are fine for me.
Personally I think, if you buy cheap, you will end up buying again.
If you could save up for a proper weber kettle, I think you would be better off. I don't have any experience with a Brinkman type.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » 10 Jun 2015, 17:06

welcome chum we know your quest,
my advice is buy the best,
Ceramic cookers cost much gold,
But rock solid they will hold,
The eBay option value buy,
You sit beside and weep and cry,
Temperatures will rise and fall,
Enjoyment there will be fek all......

Tiny, you say, my loot is modest,
I cant afford that to be honest,
I need a cooker that needs little fettle,
So Sir buy a weber kettle,
will last you years of tasty fun,
Supping grilling in the sun,
Sausage, burger or pulled pork,
Your steady kettle will always work

I have bought many over time,
my total collection numbered 9,
But Mrs tiny said no way,
Some of those must go away,
I binned the landmann, laptop too,
Sold the CADAC and outbacks, two,
Kept my brand new pride and joy,
Wifi enabled big boys toy,
The weber kettle? Gets to stay,
You will always want a charcoal day.........

Hope this helps, check the sig block cheers tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby wade » 10 Jun 2015, 20:25

I would certainly go for Weber 22". I have 3 of them and one is over 14 years old, still used regularly and in good condition. I can regulate the temperature in it to 110-115 C for hours at a time or ramp it up to 225 C just as easily. I Also have a pellet smoker and two offsets - but the Webers are my BBQ workhorses.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dannysmith43 » 10 Jun 2015, 20:52

I agree with the above. You can still smoke on a kettle plus you can go hot and fast too.

My friend had just bought a brinkmann from Amazon for £80ish quid but he's not had a chance to try it, he seems happy with the build quality.

How much is your budget? I bought the Weber One Touch Original (not premium) for £110 after discounts with next day delivery just recently. The 43cm size of the Landmann is going to restrict you somewhat, I was advised to go 57cm and they were right

Good luck

Edit: Just followed the links, I see your budget is £40ish. If your going to buy a kettle, even a cheap one...go bigger. Also, if you get a kettle and the whole smoking thing doesn't take off....you still have a normal bbq... right :P

I nearly bought a cheap kettle from Robert Dyas for £45, made by Masterchef. It's 57cm and is pretty much a copy of the Weber OTP, if you really can't stretch it might be worth a punt, it got decent reviews.
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 11 Jun 2015, 08:13

Tiny, I think you have even surpassed yourself this time!!!!
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PDC7 » 11 Jun 2015, 11:54

Tiny is truly our wordsmith of the year!!!

As for the master chef mentioned earlier, I saw a built version in my local Tesco and I have to say that although it seems to be of thicker material than your average cheapo BBQ it is not as thick as my kettle and the build wuality does appear lower
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jimardee » 11 Jun 2015, 13:12

Thanks for the replies all and special mention to the poet in our ranks... mighty impressive! :lol:

The thing is that i just really like the way this one looks! I love the chimney haha! I would love a Weber Smokey Mountain but that is too pricey for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXFO4Y2?colid=359CS500ZMI2M&coliid=I2IBRBYCYCS8DW&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

But i am aware that it doesn't have a bottom vent which I have heard can cause problems? So i was thinking if i got that one i could drill some holes in the bottom half (not worried about warranty, its only £37!) to create better air flow. How important is a bottom vent?

Looking at the Weber One Touch and i see that is doesn't have a thermometer or a bottom vent. Is that correct? How can it be worth £100 plus?!

Is this a weber one touch can anyone tell? http://www.gumtree.com/p/barbeques/weber-silver-charcoal-bbq/1119867348

I could go second hand...
Jimardee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby dannysmith43 » 11 Jun 2015, 13:19

PDC7 wrote:Tiny is truly our wordsmith of the year!!!

As for the master chef mentioned earlier, I saw a built version in my local Tesco and I have to say that although it seems to be of thicker material than your average cheapo BBQ it is not as thick as my kettle and the build wuality does appear lower

I never actually managed to see the Masterchef up close, I suspect it would be lower quality, I can honestly say I'm glad I spent the extra on the Weber
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice