Newbie looking for some advice

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Newbie looking for some advice

Postby dannysmith43 » 27 May 2015, 14:28

Hello,

I've just signed up, fresh off the boat and I'm starting from the bottom!
I'm currently doing very basic grilling on a semi-rusty old half-drum BBQ that's years old. I don't like it one bit!. So recently I've been reading the forums here and lots of goog'ling on the next step, entry level grilling with perhaps the opportunity to go low and slow.

So, in my extensive research and budget of under £100, I've decided to go for a Kettle style grill. You have the option of standard grilling and I've seen various videos of low and slow pulled pork that makes my mouth water, win. In terms of brand, it seems like Weber is the way to go in terms of quality. The cheapest 57cm version is the Weber Bar-B Kettle, which is £94 in B&Q.

http://www.diy.com/departments/weber-ba ... 995_BQ.prd

Basic compared to the £200 version (thermometer and easy clean system are noticeable omissions) but OK for what I'm looking for...I think :?

Whilst looking at alternatives, I came across a MasterChef Professional 22" jobbie, sold in Tesco and Robert Dyas. It's £90 in Tesco (no chance) and £50 in RD. It seems to tick all of the Weber boxes and looks very much like the super duper £200 Weber with the gadgets.

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/masterchef- ... e-barbecue

Could anyone offer any advice on the above? Perhaps I'm going about it all wrong?

Any advice is much appreciated!
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Newbie looking for some advice

Postby Tiny » 28 May 2015, 11:03

Welcome chum,
So far you sound as if you have followed the correct path, an 57cm kettle is the near perfect compromise to do some grilling and lo and slow.

So do you buy the Weber or its near twin? My advice, go and have a feel, the difference usually is all around the thickness of the steel and the quality of the finish. Your Weber feels really solid, when you lift the lid you can feel it is quality. The trouble with most of the cheaper alternatives is they are made from paper thin steel and thus holding temps is harder, the build quality iffy and thus in 2 seasons they are rusty and abandoned.

Personally I would buy the Weber, dome thermometers are mostly useless as you don't eat the lid of your Q so I would pay for an weber that will last you years.

I also need to declare I was staunchly anti Weber until I drunkenly purchased one for £49 in an end of season sale. I just reduced the 8 BBQ I owned down to 2, and one of these was my kettle......

Go well,
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dannysmith43 » 28 May 2015, 12:14

Tiny wrote:Welcome chum,
So far you sound as if you have followed the correct path, an 57cm kettle is the near perfect compromise to do some grilling and lo and slow.

So do you buy the Weber or its near twin? My advice, go and have a feel, the difference usually is all around the thickness of the steel and the quality of the finish. Your Weber feels really solid, when you lift the lid you can feel it is quality. The trouble with most of the cheaper alternatives is they are made from paper thin steel and thus holding temps is harder, the build quality iffy and thus in 2 seasons they are rusty and abandoned.

Personally I would buy the Weber, dome thermometers are mostly useless as you don't eat the lid of your Q so I would pay for an weber that will last you years.

I also need to declare I was staunchly anti Weber until I drunkenly purchased one for £49 in an end of season sale. I just reduced the 8 BBQ I owned down to 2, and one of these was my kettle......

Go well,
Tiny

Great, thanks Tiny. I think you've confirmed what I was leaning towards! I haven't been able to check out the MasterChef as my local Tesco doesn't display them, it just in a box. I've been to Homebase and checked out a couple of their alternatives aswell as the Weber, I can definitely feel a difference in thickness and quality. I hadn't thought about that effecting the maintaining of temperatures so I think that makes my decision. I think after I'll end up getting Maverick probe eventually(or similar) so the lid thermo isn't a big deal.

One other thing, the Bar-B-Kettle has a small air inlet at the bottom (attached) compared to the original / premium models, do you think it will be a problem maintaining the temps?

Thanks for your help
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 28 May 2015, 12:35

I have a weber OTP and a USD. I also have a cheapo kettle but dont really use it but can't bring myself to throw it out.

I would agree with Tiny and say a weber one touch 57cm is the path to go down. Then maybe a UDS if you're on a tight budget.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dannysmith43 » 29 May 2015, 09:38

essexsmoker wrote:I have a weber OTP and a USD. I also have a cheapo kettle but dont really use it but can't bring myself to throw it out.

I would agree with Tiny and say a weber one touch 57cm is the path to go down. Then maybe a UDS if you're on a tight budget.

I wasn't actually going to get the OTP as it's currently £170ish and I can get the Bar-B-Kettle for under £100.
Is it worth extra wedge? I'm not too worried about the premium features just in terms grilling performance?

Thanks
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dannysmith43 » 29 May 2015, 11:49

To add more confusion...I've just found a cracking deal on the Weber One Touch (non-premium) for £115, only £25 more than the Bar-B-Kettle which is temping. I was hoping it came with the hinged grill which I really like but no such luck. It does have the lid catch to hang it on the side of the BBQ and easier to clean...meh decisions decisions! :?
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice