Costco Spare Ribs

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Costco Spare Ribs

Postby bsnalex » 25 May 2015, 08:45

Anyone out there ever smoke Costco spare ribs? I've done back ribs before from them and they came out great, but I've noticed the spare belly racks have a more-than-usual amount of belly meat and fat on top.

Any experience with them?
bsnalex
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Costco Spare Ribs

Postby Kiska95 » 25 May 2015, 09:32

The more meat and fat the better I say.

In the US they use ribs from Pigs of 100KG plus and they are cut differently to leave more meat on. Similar Pigs here are Bacon pigs but the shops and supermarkets only sell the "leaner" meat from smaller pigs as is the nature of our market. I have used the Costco Baby back ribs a number of times but have been underwhelmed maybe its because I worked in the US and was spoiled. So if you can get belly spares with more meat and fat then go for them I would say. :)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Costco Spare Ribs

Postby bsnalex » 25 May 2015, 13:58

Thanks for the advice. I know what you mean about the portion and cut sizes. I'm from the states as well, but didn't get into serious barbecueing until a couple years ago. I'll let everyone know how i get on.
bsnalex
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice