Law - selling

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Law - selling

Postby Captain Awesome » 19 May 2015, 11:16

Good afternoon

I work at an independent school.

Often the teachers will allow the pupils to cook, serve and sell meat to parents in order to raise funds for charity visits to foreign parts.

My concern is:

What food legislation applies to such a scenario?

H&S - not a problem, but food safety is a different field, one which I have no knowledge of.

If anyone out there can help then I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Mark
Captain Awesome
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Law - selling

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 12:33

I too work in an independent school. What the potential ramifications are will really depend on what is currently happening in your school. If you have in-house catering then the school will already have registered with your local Environmental Health and will be regularly inspected. They are the best people to ask about possible ramifications of also selling student produced food on the same premises.

Providing they are happy with the situation then there are no legal requirements for selling home produced food at charity events (I assume like us you are also a charity) other than ensuring that the food is produced and stored using safe food handling practices.

You might find this link useful - https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/food-hygiene/charity-community-groups
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Law - selling

Postby Captain Awesome » 19 May 2015, 15:40

Dear Wade

Thanks for this, perfect response and great link.

Mark
Captain Awesome
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice