Minion method... Mixed results

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Minion method... Mixed results

Postby Swindon_Ed » 07 Nov 2010, 18:47

I've tried the minion method a few times now and done it a few different ways and each way has had different results :?

First time i tried it with briquettes which left a horible taste like it was over smoked. I've since learnt the error of my ways here!!!

Next time i used restaurant grade lump charcoal. I made sure i filled up my chimney starter and then made sure i had a thin cover of fully lit fuel over my charcoal basket. This was good no unwanted taste on my food other than what i wanted :D

Last time i tried it i only lit a few coals and dumped them in the middle of the charcoal basket. Now i'm not sure if i put too much wood on but it came out tasting like when i used briquettes.

I've heard a few people say that they prefer not to use the minion method, but i've never heard anyone say why they don't like to use it. Should i be lighting all my fuel first and then adding additional chimney's of lit fuel when i need to. And if i'm doing it this way would it be better to use some good quality briquettes like Heat beads or coco shell?
Swindon_Ed

Re: Minion method... Mixed results

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Nov 2010, 22:13

Hi Ed,

There are quite a few threads on this. I think you might as well have just walked up to a wasps nest and given a good old hefty kick! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=166&p=2305&hilit=minion#p2305
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 10 Nov 2010, 18:59

Thanks Adie,

I might have to get a bag of heat beads and give them a try.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 12 Nov 2010, 19:32

Don't use heat beads for minion method though. They're great when fully lit, the best briquettes I've ever used. But as with all briquettes they whiff a bit during lighting.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Nov 2010, 21:58

I've tried minion with briquettes before, and it's not a mistake i'll make again. :oops:

I'll be making sure they're fully lit before i put them in the smoker this time.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 14 Nov 2010, 19:52

Hi Al,

You've just mentioned two of my other favourite things besides BBQ. Jerk Chicken & Beer hmmm :D

If you could let me know which pub it's at, and what time things will be starting and i'll see you there.
Swindon_Ed

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice