Decent bbq for grilling

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Decent bbq for grilling

Postby Hull BBQ » 07 May 2015, 21:03

Hi,

I've been using a 57cm Weber kettle for a couple of years and it seems adequate for the occasional smoke but have decided to step up to a 47cm smokey mountain. I've always found the 57cm kettle too big for everyday bbqing, I've taken to raising the coal grill up on bricks to bring the coals closer to the food but it's not ideal. Is there a premium non-kettle bbq for grilling food that uses less coals or has less distance from coal to cooking grill? Quite liked the look of the landmann Taurus 440 but reviews suggest build quality issue. Anything made up to weber standards that fit the bill?

Thanks in advance.
Hull BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Decent bbq for grilling

Postby aris » 08 May 2015, 15:24

Weber do a 47cm model.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Hull BBQ » 09 May 2015, 00:59

It's not the size of the current weber that's the problem, more the lack of flexibility. Doing a small grilling is really hard to do without wasting a ton of coal but the size is good for a bigger party. I don't really want to have 3 bbqs in the garden.
Hull BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 09 May 2015, 07:34

Can the bottom of the WSM function as a portable/table top grill?
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 09 May 2015, 08:26

Morning chum,
First time I have ever heard dissatisfaction with an Weber but I guess I know what you mean WRT charcoal useage. You could of course go for the Baby weber the smokey Joe and the smaller weber chimney, or find one of the Hibachi style tabletop grills which are ideal for the just a couple of chops.
from a personal perspective this is why I bought a gas grill originally, the whole palava of lighting the charcoal coming up to temp for 10 mins cooking and then the clean up after meant it was gas for me.

Now I am a pellet grill convert so can fire up in 10 mins grill and clear down in half an hour end to end, for me this now means 3-5 BBQ per week and am lovin it.

But if you want the theatre of charcoal on a smaller scale I reckon the Smokey Joe or an hibachi would see you right,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Hull BBQ » 09 May 2015, 11:46

I think the Weber is perfect for what it's designed for, I just realised my needs are different. I have contemplated the dark side of gas grills but it just feels wrong deep down :)

I didn't fancy a tabletop one though they seem like the best fit. I just hoped there was a standalone bbq with adjustable compartmentalised coal levels built to the same standards of Webers.
Hull BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 09 May 2015, 12:22

Can't you just grill on 1 side with a small pile of coals? Gets a bit of mesh wire and bend it round to make a coal 'table' to raise it if need be. Or buy a disposable and set it on the bottom grate and stack lit coals on top?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Hull BBQ » 09 May 2015, 14:49

Some good suggestions thanks. I guess I could look at raising the coals somehow, I just wanted to exhaust other bbq ideas first.
Hull BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 10 May 2015, 07:24

I use a disposable one with just a few (about 8) coals on to do a steak. Because it isn't on long I cut a bit of the side fat off and drop it on the coals to get some beefy smoke and blow on the coals fairly frequently to get a ripping heat. Resulting in browned beefy yumminess that is juicy and soft inside. Mmmm.

Hmm. Well I thought I had attached a pic. It uploaded but I have no idea where to! Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Hull BBQ » 14 May 2015, 11:01

Decided to buy another coal grate for the Kettle and raise it using the rails on the existing grate. Going to couple it with the Craycote cast iron sear grate.
Hull BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice