Got me a Maverick!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Got me a Maverick!

Postby DeepThought » 04 May 2015, 18:40

I think there comes a point in everyone's BBQ career where you just have to admit you have a problem and commit fully to the cause.

It was with this in mind, and happy memories of cooking and eating a 10 hour pork butt last week that I decided it's time to stop kidding myself and order a Maverick ET-732.

Inevitably I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly how do people run the wires out of their Weber kettle? I'm perfectly happy to just slam the lid shut on top of them but I worry that over time the pinching will damage them. I suppose I could go out the vents but that would make taking the lid off a bit tricky.

Secondly, and off the back of the first, a lot of reviews suggest getting some spare probes. I'm sure this is fine in America where you can pick them up for a few dollars but is there a supplier selling the probes in the UK? I have found a few but by the time postage from the USA is factored in I may as well buy a whole new unit.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeepThought
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Got me a Maverick!

Postby Kiska95 » 04 May 2015, 22:27

Its easy really. just get some silicone grommets from ebay with about a 4mm hole in the centre then drill a hole in the body of the q to fit the od of the grommet. Then push the probe through the grommet, use a little veg oil and then insert grommet in hole. Voila no more snagged or damaged probe leads. They sell them in packs in the us as bbq accessories but they are only pennies to get from ebay.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby scuba-doo » 05 May 2015, 05:34

Don't suppose you have a link to these grommets do you :D
scuba-doo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby DeepThought » 05 May 2015, 06:49

Do you mean something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171772002846

They look the part, but do I dare drill a hole in my precious kettle?

We'll see.

DeepThought
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 05 May 2015, 08:57

No they will melt and stink if they are just rubber
if you think about it cooks use silicone rubber for all sortsof baked goods upto 250c in a normal oven. silicone rubber can withstand high remps you only going upto 135C 275F. i will look for the link but search silicone grommets not just rubber.
You are only talking a small hole and you can always put in a short dome head bolt when not in use. But i just leave the grommet in the hole it will just look like weber intended it to be there.better than jamming your lid down on an expensive probe lead
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 05 May 2015, 09:40

DeepThought wrote:Do you mean something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171772002846

They look the part, but do I dare drill a hole in my precious kettle?

We'll see.

That's what worries me. The thought of drill my paint job. (Shudder). :oops:
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 05 May 2015, 12:15

I've been running probe wires under the lid for the past two years with no problems. And i don't really fancy drilling holes in my WSM and voiding the warranty.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 05 May 2015, 17:14

DeepThought wrote:
Secondly, and off the back of the first, a lot of reviews suggest getting some spare probes. I'm sure this is fine in America where you can pick them up for a few dollars but is there a supplier selling the probes in the UK? I have found a few but by the time postage from the USA is factored in I may as well buy a whole new unit.

Buy them direct, reasonably priced shipping as well. http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts/
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Kiska95 » 06 May 2015, 12:12

Hi

The Weber warranty for the body and the Lid is only Rust through or Burn through in 5 to 10 years dependent on model which is probably not going to it happen unless it gets bashed but then they all do at some stage moving them about, at that point the warranty is gone anyway.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Kiska95 » 06 May 2015, 12:23

heres the details for silicone grommets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251889470670
Silicone Rubber Cable Grommets, Soft, Strong & Flexible, HIGH QUALITY
( 251889470670 )
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter