Best meat temp's for smoking

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Best meat temp's for smoking

Postby Swindon_Ed » 03 Nov 2010, 20:24

I'm sure i saw a post from Steve at Royal Q about this but i can't seem to find it now.

I was smoking a couple of pork shoulders at the weekend, and i was wanting to be careful not to over smoke them so i put the smoking wood in when i put the shoulders on. When i ate them i didn't get much of a smoked flavour :( , and this got me thinking about this point and was wanting to give it another try this weekend.

What temp's should the meat be before i add my smoking wood?
Swindon_Ed

Re: Best meat temp's for smoking

Postby British BBQ Society » 04 Nov 2010, 20:29

Make sure your meat is at room temprature when it goes on, you want to add your wood straight away for maximum smokey goodness.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 17 Nov 2010, 20:21

Also, don't just throw on some chunks or chips and let it go at that. I usually keep smoke on the meat for a good 2 hours when smoking a large piece, and 1 hour when doing ribs.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Swindon_Ed » 17 Nov 2010, 20:55

Thanks Mike i'll give this a try with the ribs as i've not had great results recently.
Swindon_Ed

Postby joker smoker » 19 Nov 2010, 00:36

The amount of smoke flavour you require is your personal preference. Whilst in Tennessee this year I found a lot of the meat to be more smoky than I like but a lot of what i taste in the UK seems to be less smoky than I like. One man's meat is another man's poison...
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 19 Nov 2010, 09:56

Something that may help that I only learnt in Tennesse on the cooks class is that apparently meat only takes on smoke flavour until it reaches 140 degrees so that may help. I used to keep the smoke going in for the first 3 hours but now I will follow the temp guidlines as it makes more sense.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 Nov 2010, 17:17

esselle wrote:Something that may help that I only learnt in Tennesse on the cooks class is that apparently meat only takes on smoke flavour until it reaches 140 degrees so that may help. I used to keep the smoke going in for the first 3 hours but now I will follow the temp guidlines as it makes more sense.

This was the bit of info i was looking for i'm sure i've seen it before but couldn't find it.

Thanks.
Swindon_Ed

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice