Lumpwood v Chacoal Briquettes v Cocoshell v Heat Beads

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Lumpwood v Chacoal Briquettes v Cocoshell v Heat Beads

Postby strathamp » 04 May 2015, 09:52

Hello all,

So I'm ordering my first smoker - the ProQ Frontier - this week. This forum has been a great help in researching what I need, but when it comes to the fuel, I'm stumped! There are so many different opinions on here that I cannot decide what is going to be best for me as a newbie. As soon as I decide on something I read another post suggesting it's not the right thing...

I'm going to order the whole kit from hotsmoked.co.uk, along with my fuel, so given the options below, what would people recommend for me?

Australian Heat Beads
Big K Charcoal Briquettes
Big K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood
Nature Cocoshell Briquettes

Please help me with the final piece of the jigsaw!

Ben
strathamp
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Lumpwood v Chacoal Briquettes v Cocoshell v Heat Beads

Postby Toby » 07 May 2015, 11:41

Hi Ben,

heatbeads all the way. I have been using them for the last 6 or 7 years and will not use anything else!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YetiDave » 07 May 2015, 20:25

I find it's cheaper and easier to use lumpwood. You'll have no problems hitting high temps and you'll sacrifice a little fuel economy. But you'll avoid having to use cheap briquettes or order them online. I just stock up on B&Q lump every summer :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby strathamp » 09 May 2015, 14:35

Thanks both. I actually punted for cocoshell before I saw these replies - I was too keen to get it ordered so I could play with it this weekend!

I found some leftover lumpwood from last year which I'm using for the first burn\season as we speak, so will see how that behaves. Then i'll try out the heatbeads once I've burnt through the cocoshell, which wont take long :)

I guess theres no right answer to the fuel so will have to try them all..
strathamp
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice