Ugly Drum

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Ugly Drum

Postby gazz » 03 May 2015, 20:34

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have recently started my UDS build and purchased a steel barrel as per the following - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/205-LITRE-45- ... 3ccb393116

I have burnt out the drum and also had it sandblasted (£20 which is a good price). I have oiled (vegetable) the inside of the barrel and am looking to do a seasoning burn over the next few days. However, the drum came with a removable lid, but it is not stainless steel and seems very shiny. I have taken the sander to it and this has taken something off it.

I am just a bit concerned that it could be galvanised? Any thoughts ? Can get pictures up tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gaz.
gazz
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Ugly Drum

Postby scuba-doo » 04 May 2015, 06:20

I wedged mine in the top of the drum as I burnt it . The description says they are re furbished so I wouldn't think they would bother to galvanize the lid only and paint the barrel
scuba-doo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 04 May 2015, 07:32

Hi
it a laquer they put on the inside of the drum and lid to stop it rusting. I put the lid half over the barrel on burn out and turned it a couple of times and that did the trick.
Hope that helps
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 04 May 2015, 08:15

Looks like a galvo lid to me. I just ran the grinder gently over the top to take that layer off. Not on the outside though. That doesn't matter and helps protect it. Eventually you will get a nice coat of smoke tar on the inside that will protect from rust.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 04 May 2015, 10:21

Hi

If you read the eBay post again it states "Also un-lacquered drums available" which suggests that the one you got is lacquered? However they don't Galvanise inside of these types of drums but they do sometimes put a spray liner in some (red) which is hard to get rid of even with a burn out. Nearly all just lacquer the inside of the lid. I researched this a lot before I bought mine just a couple of weeks ago

hope that helps
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby gazz » 04 May 2015, 12:24

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the drum, I ordered it and it arrived with the lacquer lining. With hindsight, I should have gone for the one without the lacquer lining. I did a burn a few weeks ago, and then paid for the inside to be sandblasted, so all of the lacquer has been removed. I have rubbed the inside down with oil and intend to do a couple of seasoning burns.

With regard to the lid, the missus old fella to the grinder to it gently and it now has swirls on it. I have left it out for the past week and it has not rusted, so assume there is something left on it. Do you reckon I could do a couple of seasoning burns with the lid on and hope that the inside face becomes tarred and can then be used for cooking?

Cheers,

Gaz.
gazz
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby gazz » 04 May 2015, 12:26

Also, Kiska, did you purchase your barrel from the ebay link?
gazz
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Kiska95 » 04 May 2015, 22:12

No not from that link. i was going to but another guy locally also listed did them for a tenner each. ive bought a couple more too as they were very clean. it was another post on another site that alerted me to the liners in food based drums and lacquer on the others. just done another burn out on 2nd uds at the weekend and lid is now showing signs of oxidisation (rust) so all is good. will now clean and oil just like looking after a steel wok. but defo not galvanised on the inside
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Kiska95 » 04 May 2015, 22:13

Send me a pm and i will give you more info
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby YetiDave » 04 May 2015, 23:14

I just ran mine without a diffuser and chucked in a few cheap sausages to season it - the vaporised fat does a pretty good job!
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice