maverick Battery usage

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

maverick Battery usage

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 27 Apr 2015, 21:52

Hi, I got a Maverick ET733 for Christmas, but have only just really started to use it. I used it first a couple of weeks back and all was fine, a week later when I switched on the receiver I noticed it was really dim, so changed the batteries for some new duracells. I assumed the batteries that came with it probably weren't that good, so thought nothing more of it. I went to use it again this weekend and the unit was dead, although I'm 100% sure it was turned off. :shock:

I had read elsewhere that other people had also had some battery problems- one person had said that they believed it was because if you'd turned off the receiver without it first pairing with the transmitter, it would keep trying to find it even once it was turned off and would carry on till the batteries died :shock: .....

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced battery issues and if they'd heard of this as being the potential problem?

cheers

Paul.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: maverick Battery usage

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 27 Apr 2015, 22:12

I've had mine 6 months and used it probably 10 to 15 times (including some really long cooks) and still on first set of batteries. Never paid any attention to which I switch off first. I find I have to hold down the receiver button quite firmly to ensure its off
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 28 Apr 2015, 11:43

My maverick et732 is great on batteries, coming up to two years old and i've only changed the batteries once. And I cook quite regularly, generally once a week throughout the year including a lot of long cooks (8 hours +).
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 28 Apr 2015, 15:06

Take batteries out after use ......shimples!
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slatts » 28 Apr 2015, 17:02

Hi

Im the same as Scantily, have the ET732 for 2 years and only changed the batteries once.
I do cook often, although last year wasn't that busy but still used it. Ive had it on for 15-18hrs before with no problems.
Didn't know or haven't heard about it trying to sync when turned off though.

Hope it settles down for you and sorts itself out.
slatts
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 28 Apr 2015, 18:57

Hi everyone. Firstly thank you for all your replies. As it seemed to only be me having problems, I dropped a line to the nice people at Maverick and they have come back with a very interesting response, so thought I'd share in case others could benefit.

They say that if you switch off the reciever before it has paired or has lost its pair, then it will continue to try and contact the transmitter, even when it's switched OFF and will keep trying until the batteries are dead. :shock:

They have sent me some instructions which basically say make sure the units are paired and only switch off the reciever when the --- lines are no longer flashing, which is after 120 seconds. Maverick say this a 'feature' and it is designed to do this. :D

I hope this can be of use to others as when you think your Maverick is sleeping quietly in its box, it could actually be semi -conscious and calling out to his little friend Mr Transmiiter :D

Cheers

Paul.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 28 Apr 2015, 21:47

Wow, why would that be a design feature :?:

Never done that before I have to say
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 28 Apr 2015, 22:24

Mine has never done that, I always turn off the transmitter and then the receiver and my batteries are fine.

I'm not sure why that would even be a feature, certainly doesn't sound right to me.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 17 May 2015, 23:57

Surely thats not right.
The clue is in the title "transmitter and receiver"? Its the transmitter that tries to find the device not the other way round. It pairs with receiver once it receives the signal just like blue tooth in the car only in the car it gives up if it cant find the device. the design feature me thinks is that the transmiter keeps sending a signal as it can drop unexpectedly for all sorts of reasons and cock up your cook otherwise hence the alarm feature
The receiver cant transmit and wont try and pair if is switched off properly. it aint got that sort of capability for 60 quid. Can you post the section maverick sent?
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 18 May 2015, 20:56

Here is the info that I got back from Maverick.... I think point 4 is key.

READ THIS BEFORE USING MODEL #ET-733 WIRELESS BARBECUE THERMOMETER SET

Registering Receiver & Transmitter Signals

The ET-733 Wireless Thermometer needs the receiver to register (“sync”) and lock in the radio frequency signal from the transmitter, every time the device is turned on. Proceed as follows to register.

1. First, plug in the stainless steel probe sensors into the corresponding sockets of the transmitter. Push in fully and twist back and forth a little to ensure fully seated and in contact.

2. Second, turn on the receiver by pressing and holding the power button 2 seconds.

3. Third, turn on the transmitter by pressing and holding the power button 2 seconds, found on the back of the transmitter. This needs to be done within 120 seconds of turning on the receiver in order for
the receiver to receive the Registration Code from the transmitter. Registration is completed when the unit beeps, and the probe temperatures appear on the receiver display LCD.

If the receiver doesn’t beep within 5-10 seconds and the “---” shown on LCD is flashing or is solid, press the power button 2 seconds to turn OFF the Transmitter and then try again by turning back ON. Pressing and holding the RESYNC button for 2 seconds will get the same result as turning the transmitter OFF and then ON.

NOTE: Do not program any settings, or touch any other buttons, or turn off the receiver until the connection has been completed. Programming will not work until the connection is made, and the receiver batteries can drain if left unconnected, even when turned off. See step 4.

4. DO NOT TURN OFF the receiver until the connection has been made with the transmitter, or until 120 seconds have passed and the “---“ is no longer flashing. If you turn it off early, it remains in “search” mode even while appearing to be off, and the batteries will drain within two weeks. Waiting 120 seconds discontinues the “searching” mode whether connected or not.

Trouble Shooting Probes and LCD Readouts
LCD Readouts show LLL or HHH, or a temperature you think is wrong
1) Check probe connection. The water-resistant seals can push the connection apart, so squeeze the probe jacks harder into the transmitter and twist them back a little to ensure good contact.
2) If the problem still persists it is likely the probe or probe wire has shorted out either through moisture, pinching or heat damage. If due to normal wear and tear, order a replacement probe via our website.
3) Too high a temperature reading: make sure the probe tip is not poking through the food to outside. Reposition the probe tip in the center of the thickest part of food. Avoid touching bone or heavy fat areas.

If initially defective within the warranty period, you can return the defective probe to our address below along with your return address and we will send you a replacement probe at no charge.
Hints for Longest Probe Life

Do not immerse the probe in water while cleaning, or wash the braided wire. Water will get into the probe or its wire and cause a malfunction. We recommend cleaning the food contact areas only with a damp cloth.

Do not allow the probe or probe wire to come into contact with flames. While these wires have a high heat rating, direct flame contact can cause a malfunction.

Do not bend the probe wire into extreme angles or pinch the wire between two pieces of metal such as a grill hinge or lid.
Form# ET-733 QS r2
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice