Pro Q Frontier Elite (more info needed) vs WSM 47cm

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Pro Q Frontier Elite (more info needed) vs WSM 47cm

Postby TheHowster » 12 Apr 2015, 13:20

Hi All

I've been checking out the website here for a week or so now as I've slowly made up my mind to get a bullet smoker rather than a grill bbq. A gas grill is still on the books though!

I'm not going to need the area of the larger sized pro q exel or 57cm WSM and the smaller ones look a tad too small so I'm in the middle ground and torn between the two.

There don't seem to be many reviews of the newer elite series Pro Q's which I'm kinda leaning towards. I see that they have improved them with stainless steel parts and thicker metal (1mm). I'd like to know:
- 1) how much thicker than the original is it?
- 2) how does the thickness compare to the WSM?
- 3) is it entirely Porcelain enamel coated now like the WSM (i.e. including the stackers)?
- 4) Is the excel really still thicker as most reviews of past models state this was better built than the frontier. Does this apply with the elites?
- 5) Are their extra stackers available in the new elite style (i.e. stainless steel, thicker metal, PE coating, silicone grips and grommets, etc)
- 6) Has anyone got an elite and compared it to the previous Pro Q's and/or WSM.

I'm wanting to purchase one sooner rather than later so need to make my mind up but am really struggling.

Thanks for any replies and nice to meet you all!
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pro Q Frontier Elite (more info needed) vs WSM 47cm

Postby TheHowster » 16 Apr 2015, 06:03

I've emailed Macs BBQ with similar questions so hopefully he will be able to provide some answers.

I think the whole bbq is porcelain coated although I'm not sure how it compares to the WSM for finish.

Does anyone know if a WSM can be used as a portable kettle like the Pro Q?

I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the frontier now so if anyone has any info on the elite they can offer it would be much appreciated. (I tend to go research mad when I'm buying something I'm excited about)
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 18 Apr 2015, 16:31

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any additional information from either here or Macs BBQ.

After seeing the prices jump up on Amazon I decided to put an order in on forfoodsmokers and got the frontier elite, cover and a bag of wood chips for £265 delivered. I've also got a chimney starter and a maverick et-732 in route. Can't wait for it to arrive and start the seasoning, now just need to pick some fuel.
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 02 May 2015, 18:05

As it turns out I did have a reply from MacsBBQ but it went straight into my junk.

He explained that the ProQ Elite models have the same metal thickness as the WSM. After a few issues with delivery (sorted quickly by Paul at MacsBBQ and a couple of bags of wood chips thrown in for the inconvenience) I finally have my ProQ Frontier Elite.

I had a trial run last weekend to burn off any residue then did a second run with a dozen large chicken thighs to help with the seasoning. Tasted amazing! I've since bought some ProQ gloves as standard oven gloves were proving to be a pain and will soon be ordering some wood chunks. I've used Supagrill restaurant grade hardwood charcoal wonder briquettes and like them, especially since I can get 12Kg bags for £8.80. Would still like to try heat beads though.

I'm planning on putting a few ribs in tomorrow and then a pork shoulder on Monday (all from Costco and weather permitting). I've also found a local butcher who can supply me with locally produced and slaughtered beef brisket at £8.80 a Kg and Short Rib at £5 a Kg. I'll post pictures as I go and make this a bit of a log.

Any advice on the ribs or pork shoulder welcomed.
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 05 Jun 2015, 12:53

Did you get the extra stacker with this? I am looking at the same model with the option to buy the extra stacker for parties should I need it later. Would love to know what the material quality is like.
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 05 Jun 2015, 15:14

I haven't got the extra stacker yet and I probably won't need to just yet as I've had no space issues so far. There isn't an elite version of the stacker out yet (although I've been told there is one coming) so I'd wait anyway so I get one that matches the rest of my frontier.

As for materials I believe the elite it pretty much the same as the WSM which was confirmed by one of the guys over at MacsBBQ. I'm guessing they made the elite so when people were comparing the WSM wouldn't be able to pull the "better build quality/finish" card. Mine has worked great so far although I've not had it out for a few weeks. Got a 3Kg Brisket going in on Sunday though and this time I will take pics!
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 05 Jun 2015, 16:31

I just went for it... Got stuck in traffic and looking at Amazon to pass the time I realised that if I wanted it to be here in time for a bbq party next Saturday I had to order it right away! I don't know anyone who would respond differently to such pressure...
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 05 Jun 2015, 18:36

Haha you'd had your research frenzy already so it was bound to happen eventually. Time to stock up on charcoal, wood chunks and meat! Oh and get a decent thermometer such as the maverick et732
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 07 Jun 2015, 07:36

Hi howster n narmour
welcome to the forum. it looked like you were talking to yourself there for a while! :( thought you would have gotten a few replies on your query! :oops: . sorry but i didnt have any info on either as i am using a couple of UDS but it sounds like you are getting to grips with your new rig so thats great!
I soooo do the research thing its sometimes more exciting than the thing you buy :D
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice