Maintaing temps in a Weber OTP.

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Maintaing temps in a Weber OTP.

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 11 Apr 2015, 18:08

Hi all.

I've been trying to cook some ribs today on my OTP and have for the first time used my new maverick ET733. I wanted a good 6 hours so thought Id have another go at trying to use the snake method. I built the snake on 2 briquettes deep x 2 high, in a sort of brick-bond pattern. It all started off well with with about a dozen lit coals added. For the first couple of hours it ran at about 235f with the bottom vent at around 50%, but then the temp seem to drop away fairly quickly to the 180f mark. I thought snake may have broken so had a gentle poke around but all looked ok. After opening the vent the temps recovered and then started to go high.

I just wondered, is there a better more reliable way than the snake or is this just a ' feature' of the kettle ?

Cheers

Paul.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Maintaing temps in a Weber OTP.

Postby Matsuya » 12 Apr 2015, 07:49

Ah, the joys of getting new toys! I did a fair few loads of ribs last year on a OTP, and I found the snake to be the best method, as long as you could check on it from time to time and used decent briquettes.

But sounds to me like you did the right thing in opening the vents. A pan with hot water might help stabilise the temps a bit?

Of course there are loads of other variables too like where the thermometer is.
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 12 Apr 2015, 17:30

Thanks Matsuya.

I was using Weber briquettes and had a large drip tray of warm water......I guess it's just a case of trial and error. I have read lots of stuff with differing views, some say use the top vent only, others say leave the top fully open and then work the bottom ones only...I keep thinking about a wsm, as everyone seems to say you can set them and walk away for a good few hours..... I dont think ' HQ' has been that keen on the arrival of another BBQ, but if I keep turning out duff food then maybe I'll get my case reviewed! :D :D

Cheers.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PDC7 » 14 Apr 2015, 11:50

I use a Kettle, and the snake method.

Top vent always fully open, control temp using bottom vent. I always have a spike from my initial coals going in that settles down when the unlit coals start to ignite (although my spike is not as much as yours) and mine settles after about 20 - 45 minutes.

I use the same snake setup as you (except I now add a small about of lump on top of the briq's for extra smokey goodness) and I start with my bottom vent only open about 10 - 20% after that I check on it every 30 mins to and hour depending on what else I am doing
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice