Halloween

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Halloween

Postby clairbare » 30 Oct 2010, 17:53

So tomorrow it's our first cook for the family!!

Thanks to John at the Shack, we have a good rub for the pork (as we are still testing the food we got a boned shoulder from asda for £6.50) (John thanks for your time and tasters today, if you were to come from the West Country you would say it was "Kin Lush") :)

Also we have a rack of ribs from bookers - I shall add my own rub to these :)

2 whole chickens, which even though we don't have a meat cleaver, we are hoping to half one of those and beer can the other. Which brew is best? Lager or Bitter?

Now just to decide which sides to offer - any suggestions? (we have pumpkin :))

Can you tell how excited we are to have our Baby Q :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Halloween

Postby Swindon_Ed » 30 Oct 2010, 18:32

When i've done beer can chicken i've always used larger and had great results with it but i could see ale being quite nice and i've heard of people using cider as well.

for a side dish i'd say to google abt's (Atomic Buffalo Turds). They are essentially jalepeno poppers wrapped in bacon but they are so goood!!!!. i found it hard to get Jalepeno's but just used large green chilli's or if you don't want the heat you could use some baby peppers.

I'm sure others will come up with some great items for you as well.
Swindon_Ed

Postby British BBQ Society » 30 Oct 2010, 19:56

the most important sides are beer, Jack or if its warm a nice Rum punch!!
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 30 Oct 2010, 21:18

clairbare wrote:2 whole chickens, which even though we don't have a meat cleaver, we are hoping to half one of those and beer can the other. Which brew is best? Lager or Bitter?

Even though I am a bitter drinker, I actually like using cider for beer-can chicken. It might be my imagination, but it seems to add a bit of sweetness.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 30 Oct 2010, 21:25

OK cider is the tipple for the chicken - thinking lots of wine, lager and hmmm maybe vodka jelly for pudding - meat and sides - done! ;)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 31 Oct 2010, 11:00

Morning all

Right pork has been in for 40 mins, also have some onions and tomatoes smoking for a salad dressing i have seen made before. Thing is, we can only seem to maintain a heat of 210 - is this hot enough? and if not, we are a bit stumped how to increase it so any help would be great :) (we have a a charcoal tray full of restaurant coal and bottom vents 2 half open and one fully open, top vent open fully)

Thanks
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 31 Oct 2010, 11:52

thanks Doc, yes we are using water pan with hot water
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 31 Oct 2010, 12:47

we have replenished the water pan for now again with hot water, added few more coals and given it a good shake - back up to 210 - is this a stable temp to use?

Hubby gone out to get some sand but chances are will try that technique next time - think we were working on basis the water in pan kept meat moist
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 31 Oct 2010, 13:05

remember the temp gauge on the top is probably not accurate, linit to 1 - 1 1/2" of boiling water in the pan and bear with it, the meat will be reducing the internal BBQ temp, make sure you are not removing the lid or stackers, will take 15 mins to get back up to temp
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 31 Oct 2010, 13:43

Hi Clair,

I picked up a ProQ from Toby yesterday (Thanks Toby) and had the same reading from the smoker when i was seasoning it so tested the thermometer against a new digital one that i've bought and i found the one in the smoker to show a 30F lower temp than the digital.

Today i've gone out and got a clay saucer for the smoker and i can reach higher temps with food in it. There is a long debate about if it the water does or doesn't keep the food more moist inside, so i be on the safe side and to try and add a bit more flavour, i've tried an injection marinade.

Just something to think about.
Swindon_Ed

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice