Halloween

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Halloween

Postby clairbare » 31 Oct 2010, 13:56

cheers everyone

i did have another problem - we put the pork on cos that takes longest to cook, but in hindsight - would you put all the meat on at same time and remove as it is cooked? or is that a problem cooking different things at once - all good learning :? i had to take top stack off to move ribs from the top to bottom with the pork - so i can add my chicken - the i will remove lid again to add chicken - i am figuring this is not a good move?? :cry:
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 31 Oct 2010, 14:10

think we will stick at it and see what results we get, then come and watch you guys in action in May :)

thanks for everyone's help
will keep you posted :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 01 Nov 2010, 08:07

OK and the results are

Ribs - fell apart, perfectly smoked, great tasting rub, 5* comments all round
Chicken halves - moist, tender, smoked well again good comments all round
Pork shoulder - hmmmmm well this didnt go down quite so well, it was cooked the longest (6 hours) but i fear this may not have been long enough and our temp control was hard to maintain and although it was cooked, it wasn't as moist and we had to carve it rather than pull it :(
Beer Can Chicken - there was so much meat, it would have bought a veggie out in a rash :) so we are having this tonight

so what we will do next time
Use sand in our water pan
cook the joint of pork for longer
try to maintain a more stable heat
Keep practicing - this was only our 2nd cook :D (excuses excuses)

any other comments welcome, some pics to follow later
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 01 Nov 2010, 08:29

HI Clair,

With the neck end / shoulder you will be looking at a much longer cook, internal temp needs to get to 190, and to use the old cliche, its ready when its ready. The rest of the food sounds lovely!
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 01 Nov 2010, 11:01

Hi Clair,

British BBQ Society wrote:With the neck end / shoulder you will be looking at a much longer cook, internal temp needs to get to 190,

Toby's not wrong here as i was also cooking pork shoulders yesterday, only little ones from the supermarket so I was thinking it would only take about 6-7 hours as well. In the end they took 11hrs to get to 190f. So dinner was a bit late (but worth the wait!!!)
Swindon_Ed

Postby clairbare » 01 Nov 2010, 11:51

yes we need to get a probe thermometer for those bigger pieces i think :)

http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27 ... Halloween/

here are a few pics
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 01 Nov 2010, 18:19

The temperature issue is almost certainly an incorrect reading on the lid thermometer.

For pulled pork, a good rule of thumb is that it will take about 1 1/2 hours per pound of meat to get to an internal temperatur of 190-195F. But you really do need a good thermometer to check it.

I would NEVER put chicken on a rack above beef or pork that is cooking on a lower rack. Not good at all to have chicken juices dripping onto other meats.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby MrBlue » 02 Nov 2010, 12:38

I can't see how the meat juices would be an issue if all meat was to remain in the smoker for a further few ours, and I doubt anyone would be able to taste chicken juice on the pork through all the rub anyway. However, I would agrree if the chicken had been only smoking a very short while before the Pork was removed - raw chicken juices on pork shoulder - not somehing you win awards for! :)
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice