Smoking

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Smoking

Postby Q22 » 09 Apr 2015, 14:29

Hi there just got myself some chips to try some smoking. I want to try brisket but not sure I want to spend a whole day doing it on a first attempt. I was wondering if anybody can suggest a piece of meat I can smoke that is not pulled pork or brisket that is not going to take more than say an hour or two to get some smoke flavour in to it and still be tender. The boss has told me that she does not want the meat blackened although I do not have a problem with this as long as the meat is juicy inside. I want to break her in carefully to introduce this style of cooking.

Thanks I look forward to some suggestions from the good folk here.
Q22
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Smoking

Postby Tiny » 10 Apr 2015, 17:59

Old chap,
Welcome, you set quite a challenge, what set up are you cooking on and what are the wood chips ?

Short answer meat wise is, err, nothing. I would suggest trying chicken thighs but you will need to cook a bit hotter if you want them done in an hour.

If you only have an hour to spare then I would do some hot smoked salmon. Did an whole side yesterday, simple salt and pepper, 40 mins at 100 C and then 5 mins at 160c to crisp the outside, was bloomin lovely according to all the family.

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 10 Apr 2015, 18:50

You could smoke chicken in that time easily, or for something with a bit more of that low and slow flavour, try pepper stout beef - http://wolfepit.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/ ... -beef.html

You can just use a supermarket rolled brisket, smoke for a couple of hours then finish cooking in the oven. I've done it often and it works really well
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PyroBoris » 14 Apr 2015, 10:45

If you have a look at the Hot Grilling section of the forum, there's a thread about Burgers. Someone there mentioned about smoking Burgers, that would fit with your timing constraints! You'd get some serious kudos for homemade burgers and then making them even more awesome by smoking for an hour or two! ... in fact, i think I might do some burgers this weekend!

Also, +1 for the salmon suggestion
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 28 Apr 2015, 21:51

I did some boerewors this weekend - 2 hrs. Boerewors is a South African beef sausage usually in a ring. I opened it out to cook it thoughe so you could try any beef sausage
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 17 May 2015, 23:23

Hi
im with tiny on this one nowt to be honest! it takes 1.5 hrs to do a chickem in the oven. if you want tender and smoked quick is not really in the equation. One thing i have seen on drive ins diners n dives smoked quicly was chicken breast. hot smoked not black and maybe subtle enough to tempt the missus?
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 18 May 2015, 08:04

Most battery chickens are so tender these days - it is impossible to have a tough one. You can low-and-slow chicken, but you can also zap it at very high temperature and it will still be tender. I like to spatchcock a chicken, season it well, and put it on a rack in the oven at 220C (425F). Cooks through very well (and fast) - you also get nice crispy skin. Never tried this method in a smoker - but see no reason why it would not work if you could regulate the temperature that high. One thing which is important is to get the temperature of the raw meat down - so take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before you cook it - and if the chicken was frozen make sure it is FULLY and properly defrosted.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 18 May 2015, 09:47

I would scrap low and slow for now. as aris said spatchcock a whole chicken. If your wife likes spicy, oil it all over get a packet of nandos medium piri piri rub. Indirect but hot heat, circa 200C. About an hour or so. Put the legs toward the heat and the vent over the chicken so it draws the smoke across it. I use beech chips wrapped in foil with 2 skewer holes in. Works every time. Really moist, spicy, with a crispy skin. Normally just use an aldi 2.99 chicken. Cheap as chips and awesome taste.

Will try and post a pic when I work out how to! :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice