ProQ vs Webber vs Other

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: ProQ vs Webber vs Other

Postby Nabbers » 30 Apr 2015, 07:40

I have a Proq frontier elite, which is really good...really really good. I cook for me, wife and son on it, but sometimes when friends come round I find that I am really stretched for space. To solve this I Have just bought and awaiting delivery of a weber smokey mountain 57cm. One thing I have learnt if you think the smoker might be big enough for you, go for the next size up. :D :D
Nabbers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 00:07

Go UDS all the way.
Use it until you get the hang of it then... Buy a?????? Just build a second UDS but better! More qudos with a home built rig more conversation at the gatherings
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 18 May 2015, 19:29

I have used both the ProQ and the WSM and you get what you pay for with the Weber regarding build quality. Both are good bullet smokers and will do the job but my preference would be with the Weber
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 05 Jun 2015, 12:49

I don't have either and am currently making the same agonising decision... from what I have read the Elite series ProQ's have upped their game with regard to build quality over the original models, and the optional extra stacker allows for more food space should the need arise. I'm currently swaying towards The ProQ Frontier Elite (£259 with free delivery on Amazon) which is pretty much at the top of my price range. The stacker is about £50 which can be purchased at a later date should the need arise (spreads the cost a bit which always helps, and allows a bit of time to get used to the unit and see just how much capacity I really need!). Unless anyone has any scare stories about the ProQ, I'm not sure I can justify the extra £100 odd at the outset to get the WSM.
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 05 Jun 2015, 15:31

The ProQ will do what you need. In the past the door catches would bend easily and wear - but were easy to repair. If they have now upgraded them - so much the better
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 05 Jun 2015, 16:27

I just suffered a rush of blood to the head and ordered one! Now to tell my wife.... Maybe a takeaway pizza and a bottle of wine will soften the blow :lol:
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 06 Jun 2015, 07:34

Pair a shoes and you'll know your OK. lol!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby narmour » 16 Jun 2015, 13:28

The ProQ had its maiden voyage on Saturday... we had 60 people coming round for a charity BBQ event so I had purchased 5 pork shoulders. Up at 5am to get the smoker up to temperature and loaded up, meat on at 5.40. It took the 5 shoulders easily with room to spare. Held a very steady 100-115C all day with only a few small shovels of charcoal every few hours to keep it going. I was smoking with mesquite wood and it was very smokey (I like it that way but in the interest of experimentation I'll try a lighter smoke next time).

By 4.30pm the internal temperature of the thickest shoulder was reading 80C... I'm not sure how accurate my cheapo probe is so I pulled the meat off as the assembled crowd was beginning to grumble. They weren't quite pullable but they carved nicely and my god they were delicious. The gannets devoured all but a small food bags worth and it was universally declared to be the best BBQ many had ever had! not bad for a complete beginner :D

It's fair to say I've caught the bug... ribs next!
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby lostaussie » 17 Jun 2015, 15:36

narmour wrote:... we had 60 people coming round for a charity BBQ event so I had purchased 5 pork shoulders....

Hey mate, possibly be in a similar situation soon... just wondering what size were these shoulders? 2kg? 4kg? Guess you put some generic sides out as well?
lostaussie
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice