Alternative to expanded metal for fire basket

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Alternative to expanded metal for fire basket

Postby beermetal2003 » 13 Mar 2015, 10:37

I have built a UDS and accidentally found this http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/wire-cage-and-avery in poundstretcher,so i'm using it for my fire basket.it's a bit thin but was cheap and seems firm enough.will find out once I get hold of some charcoal
beermetal2003
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Alternative to expanded metal for fire basket

Postby PyroBoris » 13 Mar 2015, 16:29

Just check whether it is galvanised, as it's designed for outdoors it may well be. Galvanised = badness for anything you want to put in your mouth
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby beermetal2003 » 13 Mar 2015, 19:31

it's just plain steel,thin steel but just plain steel.ironically,I bought a charcoal chimney in Tesco today for £6 and when I checked on their website for reviews,it says it's made of zinc.managed to use the mesh for two fire baskets as it's two feet wide.
beermetal2003
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 14 Mar 2015, 20:58

To be honest, I don't think that using galvanised steel is an issue at BBQ temperatures, it is an issue at welding temperature - and only when you breathe the fumes while welding.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 15 Mar 2015, 11:48

It can be an issue if it's the cooking surface, found out first hand a few years ago, oops. That said for the fire basket it will be fine, if you want to be doubly sure have a pre burn before you use it for cooking.
JEC

Postby beermetal2003 » 15 Mar 2015, 17:15

Had a small pork belly on all afternoon. Its in foil at the moment.gonna whack some BBQ sauce on it when I take it out if the foil.uds holds temp amazingly.very impressed
beermetal2003
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby beermetal2003 » 15 Mar 2015, 19:34

Even more impressed now.pork belly was absolutley delicious and was so easy to cook on the uds.can't wait to do a pork shoulder now and maybe some meaty beef bones that I saw in Morrisons.I'm guessing they're just beef ribs.looked nice though
beermetal2003
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 15 Mar 2015, 19:59

JEC wrote:It can be an issue if it's the cooking surface, found out first hand a few years ago, oops. That said for the fire basket it will be fine, if you want to be doubly sure have a pre burn before you use it for cooking.

What happens with a galvanised cooking surface? I'm assuming you mean the grill?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 15 Mar 2015, 19:59

I got some beefy bones. Interested to know how they go.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 21 Mar 2015, 12:40

aris wrote:
JEC wrote:It can be an issue if it's the cooking surface, found out first hand a few years ago, oops. That said for the fire basket it will be fine, if you want to be doubly sure have a pre burn before you use it for cooking.

What happens with a galvanised cooking surface? I'm assuming you mean the grill?

The zinc comes out in to the food you are cooking, allegedly this only happens for the first couple of cooks but why risk it. Zinc poisoning is like the worst stomach bug you have ever had, cramps, sickness and ... Not good, especially when you are camping!!
JEC

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice