Temp probes

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Temp probes

Postby T1LL3Y » 24 Feb 2015, 20:32

Hi everyone looking for some advise.
My fiancé bought me my first smoker for my birthday on sunday.
Its a pro q frontier elite and i cant wait to get going with it.
I have most of the stuff i need but one thing i don't have is any temp probes.
What would you all suggest? Ive seen the cheaper ones like the landmann ones for about £15 and then i saw the igrill which are about £40 or is there any others you would all suggest? Also want one that the probes will fit through the eye lets on the smoker.

Cheers
T1LL3Y
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Temp probes

Postby Steven D » 24 Feb 2015, 20:43

Hi,

I just purchased the maverick ET-733 to go with my new WSM ;-) It comes with 2 hybrid probes that can be used for either grill temp or meat temp or you can use both for meat temp. It also has preset temp's for various meats which is handy and you can adjust them to your liking. I'm new to smoking meat so I'm not sure if it's the best recommendation but I like it.
Steven D
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 24 Feb 2015, 22:27

I think you should give the igrill2 a look. You can connect it to iphone and android plus it supports 4 probed. So you can have a pit probe and 3 for meat. I don't use on as i have a DIY unit but it looks impressive.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JEC » 25 Feb 2015, 06:26

+1 for the Maverick. Whilst phone connectivity is nice it's far from essential and often goes wrong.
JEC

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 02 Mar 2015, 18:32

Another vote for Maverick here
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smoky Joe » 03 Mar 2015, 10:29

The Maverick is a great for the BBQ and the meat on the grill but I would also recommend a Thermapen. This is a great for testing the meat quick and fast. They cost a bit but worth the money.
Smoky Joe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 03 Mar 2015, 14:13

I've gone for the Maverick as well, so a +1 vote from me. Currently about £58 on Amazon with free delivery.
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 03 Mar 2015, 14:56

If you are not fussy about the colour ETI have the Thermapen at £36 on Amazon at the moment.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T1LL3Y » 05 Mar 2015, 17:46

Thanks everyone. The maverick looks awesome so i think i will give that a go.
T1LL3Y
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dawg » 18 Apr 2015, 14:11

Anyone else thinking of importing Mavericks should consider getting them from a store where they sell spare probes and buy some with the order, I bought 2 Mavericks in August last year and 2 of the 4 probes have failed, 90 day warranty on them so I have to import more.
Oh and I never wash them, only every wipe them with some antibac and rinse the tip, only used them for low temp cooking too, Im not saying there bad, I love them, there selling some silicone filled ones now that are supposed to be better but at the price there charging im going to get some hi temp silicone and at least try and cover the entry point. I wouldnt of thought the Bluetooth in the igrill will carry all the way to my bedroom like the Maverick does, also my brother bought the igrill and sent it back after testing it in his house oven, glue started leaking from the cable entry and it was within the rec. temp.

Update 20/04/15. another probe failed this weekend so I have 2 Mavericks and 1 probe, Maverick only have the $25 probes in stock according to there website so Im thinking of ditching these for something more 'available' in the UK.
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice