Holding Meat at Temperature

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Holding Meat at Temperature

Postby TheRub » 15 Feb 2015, 20:54

How do you guys hold meat that is ready well before time?

I cook on the Weber kettle most weekends, and having 2 young children, there is a hard cut off time when the meat needs to be ready. I can't turn round to a four year old and say the meat will be read when it's ready. Then give them dinner at late o'clock.
I have managed to do a reasonable pulled pork and both times it has finished between 3 and 4 hours early. I was trying to take a possible stall into account when working out timings.
After an hours rest, I pulled the pork and then cooled it as fast as I could, to re-heat it when it was time to serve food.

I believe there are other cooking issues (for another post), but is it possible to maybe foil the joint and try to hold it at the temperature for a few hours, or is it best to cool and re-heat it?
TheRub
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Holding Meat at Temperature

Postby JEC » 16 Feb 2015, 08:40

You have two options, double wrap in foil then wrap in a towel or two and stick in a prewarmed picnic cooler. Alternatively once the meat is done place in a warmed oven (Gas mark 2) wrapped in foil until your ready. It will keep warm and moist in a cooler for 4 hours, the oven try to minimise the time as if will carry on cooking and may well dry out, even with foil.
JEC

Re: Holding Meat at Temperature

Postby TheRub » 16 Feb 2015, 22:16

Thank you.
Keeping it in a cool box would remove a couple of extra steps from the preparation process and make things easier.
TheRub
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice