Cookshack SM070 or GMG

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Cookshack SM070 or GMG

Postby timgreveson » 13 Feb 2015, 14:12

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have posted a hello plus had a good look through historical posts before starting this.

I am in the process of deciding on a smoker to purchase and am on the horns of a dilemma.

I do not currently own a smoker and have attempted some rudimentary hot and cold smoking using my BBQ and either smoking chips or a Pro-Q cold smoke generator to mixed results.

I dream of owning my own food business and am thinking of getting a small streetfood stall going doing pulled pork / brisket based hot food.

My requirements are as follows:

- fire and forget (I work full time so would like a smoker that can be left unattended overnight or all day)
- digital control (from what I have read, the more precise the better)
- a level of portability (not mandatory but if it can be taken to events then this would be good)
- can fit both a pork butt and a full size brisket at the same time

At the moment, I am looking at either a GMG (Jim Bowie or Daniel Boone) or a Cookshack SM070.

Both being sold by American BBQ. The Cookshack is obviously a lot more expensive (more than twice the price of the Jim Bowie) and seemingly offers less from a temperature range point of view although I believe it offers more consistent results.

As I said at the top, my aim is to use this to cater at street food events (although the actual smoking is more than likely to be undertaken at home).

Any help/advice gratefully received. I'm not sure I can justify the outlay for the Cookshack but then I don't want to get a GMG and find out it can't cope with what I want to throw at it or it isn't dependable enough.

Thanks in advance

tim
timgreveson
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Cookshack SM070 or GMG

Postby JBBQ » 13 Feb 2015, 17:33

No problems with the GMG here. I am not running a business from it but it has never once let me down.
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby timgreveson » 13 Feb 2015, 19:55

JBBQ wrote:No problems with the GMG here. I am not running a business from it but it has never once let me down.

Good to hear, which one do you have?
timgreveson
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JBBQ » 16 Feb 2015, 10:38

The Boone - you get just about get 5 butts on it...
https://twitter.com/daft_pork
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice