Steaks - father in law visiting

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Steaks - father in law visiting

Postby NSC14 » 01 Feb 2015, 08:32

Going to do some steaks (rib eyes) and sirloin) on the KJ today. Father in law has been hearing me rave about the great steaks u get on the KJ so don't want to let him down. I plan on getting the grill really hot (550 f) and sear for aprrox 1-2 mins depending on size of steak then rest, get the grill down on temp and cook for further 6-8 mins on indirect heat. I'm conscious of over cooking / under cooking especially as using different cuts so was thinking of thermapen the regularly. Now the question is shall I use the oak ridge rubs which I love or give it to them natural???

If you have any other suggestions would love to hear them.
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Steaks - father in law visiting

Postby PyroBoris » 02 Feb 2015, 14:48

Personally I'd go Au Naturelle!

Have you thought about cooking them caveman style, directly on lumpwood charcoal?
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby NSC14 » 02 Feb 2015, 20:17

I follow a guy who does caveman steak on Instagram and they look great I'm just not to sure that the steak won't end up all ashey!! U ever tried it? How did it go? Any tips?.
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Verminskti » 03 Feb 2015, 08:53

I found when I did it (massive t bone) it was one of the best steaks I've had. Best Tbone for sure. Those two steaks need different treatment imho. Fan the lumpwood beforehand to remove a lot of the ash. Have an implement to remove charcoal that sticks on. Yes there will be an odd crunchyness to the bark but that'll just aid digestion. Else lower a grill so it sits on the charcoal and steak on that. Raise and then lower to turn. Make sure the grill has plenty of oil.
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 03 Feb 2015, 13:28

If you have a small grate you can fill your chimney starter and put the grate on that. That way you are only mm from the heat but not on the coals.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 03 Feb 2015, 13:46

essexsmoker wrote:If you have a small grate you can fill your chimney starter and put the grate on that. That way you are only mm from the heat but not on the coals.

I've tried this a few times but each time I found the heat to be too high, guessing because it's concentrated in to that limited opening

Don't underestimate the rump either, I'd bet money that YOU can cooker a nicer rump on your BBQ than most sirloins (or even rib eyes) you'd get at restaurants.
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice