Sourcing Briquettes.

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Sourcing Briquettes.

Postby smokingsteve » 04 Jan 2015, 17:28

Hello there.

I'm having problems finding good, reliable briquettes to use for low and slow cooking. I used to get 5kg for £5 from Tesco during the summer (I've experimented with a few brands, and Tesco really was the best option, however sacrilegious it feels to say so), but they've not stocked it since November.

My local stores still sell a lot of lumpwood (based in North London), but I've found these to be too inconsistent with maintaining a constant temperature, and burn out a lot quicker. But it looks as though this is my best alternative. I have not tried Big K's briquettes, as I have read nothing but bad reviews. I did buy 10kg from Weber's premium range, but found them to produce a foul smell and a lot of yellow ash, definitely not worth the price.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I've seen some discussion about heat beads across the forum, but have never heard of them before. Haven't had some barbecued ribs for months and am starting to crave!

Thanks
Steve
smokingsteve
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Sourcing Briquettes.

Postby slatts » 04 Jan 2015, 21:28

Hi

Try Toby's shop on Saysausages im sure he sells aussie heatbeads on there at a good price.
slatts
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 04 Jan 2015, 22:47

I'm no expert but I use the Weber briquettes. They seem to last really well and chuck out serious heat. Some of the garden centres stock them all year or you can get them delivered from the online BBQ sites. I haven't used heat beads so can't comment if they're better.

Cheers.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby stretchie_ » 05 Jan 2015, 09:20

I didn't get on with the Tescos ones myself, I have found Bar-Be-Quick briquettes good and reliable and they'll send you 60kgs (12x 5kg packs) for £60 which includes delivery

http://barbequick.com/mag/index.php/cha ... -pack.html

Should last you for a week or two :lol:
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby RobinC » 05 Jan 2015, 20:12

I like the weber ones. Yes they smell a bit when first lighting but they soon settle down. I've been buying them off world of power lately works out about a £1 a kilo plus delivery (free delivery if you spend over a £100).

I find them very reliable/ predictable. Also like heat beads which seem to offer similar performance
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PDC7 » 06 Jan 2015, 12:35

If you go to a Tesco petrol station you should be able to pick up supagrill briquette's, round here the petrol station stocks them all year round and I really like these ones (maroon coloured bag / sack) they are usually £5 for 5 kg
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby smokingsteve » 06 Jan 2015, 18:09

Thank you all for your advice. I will have to try Weber again, and I have used Supergrills before, haven't checked to see if they're in stock at petrol stations, will definitely have a look.

Thanks
Steve
smokingsteve
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby timoneer » 07 Jan 2015, 18:26

try bookers makro if you know a member or try Cpl fuels.they will show where your nearest dealer is. remember not to use express fuel nasty for you and your foo
timoneer
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice