Good Northampton Butcher?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Good Northampton Butcher?

Postby slackman99 » 14 Oct 2010, 21:06

Evening all,

Saturday is going to be my inaugural use of my new Excel 20. I've sourced (through another members help) what I hope is some decent charcoal, so now need to find a decent butchers.

Anyone know of any decent butchers around the Northampton area. I'm based in Hardingstone, so would be even better if it was this side, but willing to travel a bit. Might even give phesant a go (if I can find it) as it's been suggested as something simple to do.
slackman99
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Good Northampton Butcher?

Postby SunofTzu » 18 Oct 2010, 11:47

Nope been looking around N'pton myself and yet to find one as I need to find one that with do a non rolled brisket (I do buy the rolled from Costco and have looked at unrolling them but they don't look like the slabs of brisket I see on the internet "how tos" in terms of thickness and a solid piece of meat) and proper bone in Boston butt (so far pulled pork has just been standard boneless pork shoulder joints). Ribs aren't so bad as Tescos seem to be doing what I believe is a St Louis cut pre packed or their butcher counter will do a full rack or Costcos do babybacks.
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 18 Oct 2010, 14:42

Google maps shows at least 5 butchers around Northampton, the only one with their own website that I saw from a cursory glance was this

http://www.saulsofspratton.co.uk/
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SunofTzu » 18 Oct 2010, 15:00

Also found this one on googling a bit harder than previously :oops: which is not far away http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/northampton/business-guide/feature/rogers-quality-family-butchers/47035...need to find some free time to go round these and have a chat :)
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby edusites » 01 May 2011, 18:52

I use Elliotts in Kislingbury: http://www.elliottsdeli.co.uk/index.php

Outstanding quality of meat - probably because the animals come from their own farms. That's a rarity these days. They also allow it to mature too which imparts great flavour.

The staff are extremely helpful. Looking forward to my next visit. :)
edusites
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby SunofTzu » 03 May 2011, 11:20

Had you ordered any BBQ cuts of meat from them e.g. Pork Butt, Beef Brisket, Ribs? Not far for me so will have to pop round and check them out, thanks for the recommendation
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 03 May 2011, 13:37

I think if you have found a good butchers you may need to invest some time in training them.

Generally they might not be fully familiar with the cuts you want and in many case express surprise at the cut you want.

It pays dividends to nurture them and get to provide exactly what you want. It may take a couple of goes and the practice is alway useful but well worth the effort.

I own a domain called BBQcuts.co.uk and was thinking of listing the butchers that we know can do our style of BBQ cuts, any thoughts on this idea?

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby mcdodge » 03 May 2011, 16:01

Set it up, get detailed information of the cuts on it.

Make some phone calls to butchers, tell them about the site and about the cuts listed, perhaps sell them a listing on the site if they offer cuts for BBQ.
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby edusites » 03 May 2011, 16:37

@ Adie Excellent idea.

@SunofTzu Nope but I intend to soon. They're extremely helpful but will probably need some training to get the cuts right.
edusites
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby edusites » 05 May 2011, 08:22

Just spoken to Richard who works at Elliotts in Kislingbury on 01604 831533. As a classic English butcher they aren't trained to cut the American styles but... if you contact them with clear instructions and give them time to prepare the cuts, they will probably be able to help.

Here's when the Kislingbury shop is open:

Monday - Closed
Tuesday 8.00am – 5.00pm
Wednesday 8.00am – 4.00pm
Thursday 8.00am – 5.00pm
Friday 8.00am – 5.00pm
Saturday 8.00am – 12.30pm

Hope that's useful.
edusites
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next