Remote temp probes

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Remote temp probes

Postby NSC14 » 01 Jan 2015, 15:00

Hi,

I use a maverick et733 remote temp probe. It's a very useful bit of kit however I've noticed that when I check with my thermapen (another great bit of kit) that the temp all over is wildly different all over the meat. So suppose my question is should I trust the maverick or use it as a guide and thermapen to double check? Don't want to be constantly opening up the grill but also don't want to overlook the meat!!
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Remote temp probes

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 01 Jan 2015, 19:44

I always go by my Maverick and not poisoned anyone....yet :mrgreen: Try to make sure it's in the thickest part of the meat and not touching bone. Minimum temp of meat is always given as min temp in thickest part.
If you're worried it's not reading accurately then put it in boiling or iced water and check the reading. At sea level it should read 100c in boiling and zero in iced water.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby NSC14 » 01 Jan 2015, 19:55

Cheers mate that makes sense! I've only done a few cooks with it now and won't be turning back to cooking by time!
NSC14
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 01 Jan 2015, 19:58

NSC14 wrote:Cheers mate that makes sense! I've only done a few cooks with it now and won't be turning back to cooking by time!

Yeah, me too, it is so reassuring cooking by temp rather than time.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PylesBBQ » 05 Jan 2015, 15:44

Be careful cooking by temp only also. I use temp more for a guide as to when something is done. I will start checking to see if something is done at a certain temp, but will go by feel for final test. All pieces of meat are not the same and will not cook the same. I would trust your Thermapen before the Maverick. That is just my personal opinion.
PylesBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 06 Jan 2015, 07:44

PylesBBQ wrote:Be careful cooking by temp only also. I use temp more for a guide as to when something is done. I will start checking to see if something is done at a certain temp, but will go by feel for final test. All pieces of meat are not the same and will not cook the same. I would trust your Thermapen before the Maverick. That is just my personal opinion.

Unfortunately I am not experienced enough to go by feel. I reckon you need to be doing a lot of cooking to trust that method.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice