broil-master® BBQS03 BBQ Charcoal Smoker

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

broil-master® BBQS03 BBQ Charcoal Smoker

Postby BBQMICK » 30 Dec 2014, 12:11

Hi Guys and girls
I would like to know if I could cold smoke with this bbq\smoker .I make my own bacon and want to smoke
tp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KNMTLZ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

thanks in advance Mick
BBQMICK
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: broil-master® BBQS03 BBQ Charcoal Smoker

Postby PylesBBQ » 05 Jan 2015, 15:55

You can but you will need to do it in cold weather. Controlling the heat from the charcoal will be your biggest problem. You may be better off getting a smoke generator that just produces smoke and very little heat. What are you using to smoke your bacon now?
PylesBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQMICK » 15 Jan 2015, 11:27

i was thinking of using oak and a
ProQ Cold Smoke Generator
BBQMICK
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 15 Jan 2015, 18:53

BBQMICK wrote:i was thinking of using oak and a
ProQ Cold Smoke Generator

I have one of those. Very good and long burn time
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 16 Jan 2015, 22:39

I wouldn't buy one just for cold smoking as it's not the best shape to allow proper airflow. Cheap offsets are generally not a great way to go as the metal's so thin and (although I've no experience using them) I believe the general consensus is to use nothing but wood for fuel. Great if you've got access to a large, large amount of firewood, but to get it to cook right may end up costing you far more money and time than it's worth

If you're on a budget I'd recommend building an ugly drum smoker. There are tons of guides out there and from my own experience they're actually much better than cookers in a higher price range (Pro Q for example) The fuel consumption and temperature stability is unbelievable

If you've after nothing but cold smoke though, then a wooden box with bars for hanging meat may be a better option. All you need is the Pro Q cold smoke generator and sufficient airflow to make it work well. Cookers-wise though, UDS wins in my books
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQMICK » 18 Jan 2015, 17:28

thanks for all the input guys .as for the bbq the mrs bought it for christmas .and the cold smoker was given to me by the kids..im going to use it this week will take pic's and do a posting how i do .
i normally make my bacon but was talking to my village butcher ,he gave me some dry cure bacon to do for him and me
cant wait to do it now.
BBQMICK
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice