4lb pork shoulder

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

4lb pork shoulder

Postby Thunderbird30 » 26 Dec 2014, 21:44

Hi all,
As you may know I received from Mrs Thunderbird30 a Weber Q2200 gasser.I've chosen to break it in with a pork shoulder.
As we speak it's sitting with a great dry rub of brown sugar ,paprika,black pepper,galic,salt etc.
I've never used a gasser before and am a bit apprehensive about how long to cook it for.Would 4 hours at 200C be excessive or not enough?
Thunderbird30
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: 4lb pork shoulder

Postby Kathy's Smokin' » 05 Jan 2015, 22:56

How did it turn out?

I cook pork shoulder to pull so my kamado is around 121°C for low and slow. Since they are whole and weigh around 12 kilos they are an overnight smoke. Could cook for 14, 16 or more hours. I recently saw a pork shoulder done hot and fast, probably close to the temperature you were thinking, they cooked it to about 63°C internal and said it was fantastic. I'm thinking of cooking one to slice instead of pull in the future but I'll likely cook it to 74° internal. Not sure yet what temperature I'll take my kamado to.
Kathy's Smokin'
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Location: On two acres in the country just outside of Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice